"Practical " Boat Owner?..

Hunterlees

Visit site
I agree that PBO is no longer what it used to be. I have a collection of DIY articles clipped from the magazine over the years, when the focus was really on practical projects which helped the “average” boater. Whilst “i sailed round the world/Uk articles are fine, I feel that they are just fillers and PBO has moved away from its title. No longer subscribe, but also use READLY to get digital version of that and many more.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Might help me save up for the £1000 AIS B+ that I'm told I "need"...
We bought an AIS B after twice being nearly run down by ships in the Aegean Sea. Other than the large numbers of ships transiting between Istanbul and Cape Malea there are many inter-island vessels whose courses are completely unpredictable. We found it comforting to know where they were heading and could take avoiding action if needed.

Two years ago we moved to the Ionian. Here there are very few ships but almost every one of hundreds of leisure vessels is transmitting on AIS. Our plotter screen is nearly incomprehensible due to the number of dashed lines across it, often obliterating our own course line. Several times I have turned it off in annoyance.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We bought an AIS B after twice being nearly run down by ships in the Aegean Sea. Other than the large numbers of ships transiting between Istanbul and Cape Malea there are many inter-island vessels whose courses are completely unpredictable. We found it comforting to know where they were heading and could take avoiding action if needed.

Two years ago we moved to the Ionian. Here there are very few ships but almost every one of hundreds of leisure vessels is transmitting on AIS. Our plotter screen is nearly incomprehensible due to the number of dashed lines across it, often obliterating our own course line. Several times I have turned it off in annoyance.
The leisure vessels transmitting on berths in marinas that drives me a bit bonkers - at one place I noticed that 2 yachts were transmitting on the hard in the boatyard!

Boathook

Visit site
My screen was like that when I first got AIS. Turned off the AIS vectors, etc. Why people transmit when in marinas I don't understand. I normally turn mine off once moored or at anchor.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
My screen was like that when I first got AIS. Turned off the AIS vectors, etc. Why people transmit when in marinas I don't understand. I normally turn mine off once moored or at anchor.
Me too - I've got the "dark" switch connected so I can switch off transmission, but still see what's around if I fancy - I rarely use it, but it can be handy to see if anything big is moving around just out side, say, a marina.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I once came across a gas platform rig transmitting it's AIS status as underway which confused y greatly.

If a vessel is anchored and transmitting the correct status its fine but no other status

bergie

lille-oe.de
Boats transmitting in marinas or anchorages is extremely helpful for figuring out if a place is likely to be full. We often check Marine Traffic way before being at AIS receiving distance ourselves.
And a few days ago, leaving a packed anchorage in the dark to catch a favourable wind, there were a few boats that had declined to turn on their anchor lights, but were thankfully at least transmitting on AIS!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
The USA magazine, plus on line edition, Practical Sailor, is very interesting and much more aligned to the old PBO style where DIY was the thing. If PBO could do something better than "ask the expert", encourage and endorse reader, public, research and review, it could be very fruitful to them as an online resource, maybe even in print. However, print is dying on its feet an inline is the medium of choice for many. PBO is still okay.

DownWest

Visit site
Car mag was eagerly awaited, back in the day. Esp, enjoyed the test between Henry Manny the 111d's Ferrari GTO and the Pontiac GTO . The editer had a serious brown pants moment when driving the Pontiac to the ferry, as they could not test the limits in UK. Seems there were extra springs on the throttle that limited the power, until he really pushed and got a huge wag on. Obviously a fun comparison, as totally different cars. The Pontiac had drum brakes.. faded after one stop..

ylop

Visit site
I actually think it has improved! It had a spell where there seemed to be less and less content and then a while where there seemed to be a clever move by the editor to get a “free” boat by documenting a renovation.

I’m unlikely to fit an electric motor in the next ten years but that doesn’t mean I have zero interest in how the technology is evolving and the approach people take.

dunedin

Visit site
I would be very interested to know how many diy installations in the UK in the last 5 years. I know of one through an association but the claimed range figures were so fanciful that I disregarded it completely.
I personally know of 5 or 6 DIY electric conversions. I doubt if there are huge volumes (other than perhaps on canal narrow boats, which are an ideal use case), but one wouldn’t generally hear about many”

As I said “It is not for everyone, but for some boats and usage patterns it is worth considering.” Those that have converted seem to be happy, but it is clearly not (yet) for those who like to motor long distances, unless blow the budget and go serial hybrid (which can easily have a range of twice a conventional diesel, if keep below hull speed).

And as ylop says “I’m unlikely to fit an electric motor in the next ten years but that doesn’t mean I have zero interest in how the technology is evolving and the approach people take.”

DownWest

Visit site
I seem to remember an article in PBO long ago describing how to make navigation lights out of jamjars.

Halcyon days.
Indeed, we went from Burnham to the CIs in '63 with a P/S light on the pulpit powered by a single D cell. The weather was truly awfull with fishing boats near by pitching enough to show the bows to way back under the keel and the sterngear thrashing in the fresh air. Two decent gales, the last when we got caught in the Alderney Race and spent the night tacking, just to keep position.
Halcyon days, indeed.

Refueler

Visit site
Why would you transmit AIS on the hard? The mess of AIS signals coming into marinas is bad enough already.

Many people - myself included when I forget .... switch on batterys when on-board ... maybe to use the power .. test something etc ... forgetting that AIS unit may be powered up as well ... easily done.

Same with boats moored ... people go on-board switch on and AIS is sending out

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Many people - myself included when I forget .... switch on batterys when on-board ... maybe to use the power .. test something etc ... forgetting that AIS unit may be powered up as well ... easily done.

Same with boats moored ... people go on-board switch on and AIS is sending out
I fully accept that - any of us can forget anything.

I have the ais and associated WiFi on separate switches which I switch on & off as part of the instruments - they have illuminated switches when on, so are difficult to forget for long.

ylop

Visit site
I fully accept that - any of us can forget anything.

I have the ais and associated WiFi on separate switches which I switch on & off as part of the instruments - they have illuminated switches when on, so are difficult to forget for long.
I’m sure many people have simply forgotten / not realised how it’s wired in and therefore inadvertently left it on when connected to shore power to charge the batteries but I do know one person who says it is intentional (in a marina) so he can remotely see if the boat moves on Marine Traffic - he probably leaves it on on the hard too - just in case.