Practical astro navigation using the sun

Saddletramp

Visit site
I had a look last night and managed to plot a position correctly (checked George's answer) I think I just needed a little time for it to fall into place.

Thanks for hosting and organising it. Great to meet up with people and look forward to Jan.

How about meeting at Earls Court?

FAITIRA

Visit site
Very nice thing to organise Alan, great when it works for the first time, i,m no expert, but I did enjoy, my limited, astro before sat nav.

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
Agree, was a bit like being back to school (not the romantic thing we like to think it was though) but very well worth it! Thanks for organizing.

Aeolus

Visit site
An excellent course, well taught. Very intense but it did get the grey cells going.

Thanks, Alan, for arranging and many many thanks, George, for your patience and knowledge.

Jonathan

lumphammer

Visit site
I second the other comments - very enjoyable and useful course. I can't wait till weekend so I can get down to the sailing club and proof that it is really sited 5 miles out to sea, or I have got my v's and d's the wrong way round.

st599

Visit site
Damn - have been out of the country - would've loved to have taken such a course.

Will it be re-run? Or does the chap run them elsewhere?

halbadier

Visit site
Yes excellent course and George was a genius, pity I am not!!!!Putting it all together now and did a practice shot of the moon just for fun!!! No horizon but was fun to do it for real(ish) .Reference line = top of the garden fence.

Changed my tablets (not tables!)..... now feeling better!!

Got plans to set up a level in the garden using a laser level from B+Q (£13). George has done the same he says. Would give a consistent if not accurate artificial horizon for practice. enough sights might allow me to gradually generate a local error for the fake horizon.Then again, a bowl of water would be less hassle.

Lots of astro on the net including free programmes

I found http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/ and it has instructions for making a practice sextant out of a cd and lego bricks....I kid you not! He says the octant design is more accurate when checked against a Davis plastic sextant.

Freeware down load of his sight reduction program. Used it in trial and error mode until I got a posn line which passes through my location . Might be able to use that technique to establish a local horizon instead of laser level.

Theodolite might be easier ....thats the wonder of Ebay!!

Feel guilty that I did not buy George a drink so will buy him two next time I see him. The landlady made me forget my manners.

Hope to meet you all again.
Johncz

smolyneux

Visit site
Thanks for arranging and providing the hospitality. George, you were great, thank you for your knowledge, lucidity and patience.

Unfortunately I told my wife about the hospitality of the barmaid and the v d and she sent me straight to the doc!

st599

Visit site
Hey there.

As far as I understand, this course is on again this weekend, but I haven't received any specifics (where, when etc.).

Anyone got any ideas? Cheers
Simon

bumblefish

Visit site
Day 1 completed and I am now exhausted! We went to the pub for lunch and I do not think anyone had any alcohol so they could maintain concentration levels in the afternoon, unheard of, I think we all must be desperate to get it right!. Much harder than going to work and more fun....

st599

Visit site
Fantastic course - lots of practice needed though.

Why are Davis so muc cheaper in the states?