Power on NMEA200

eriknoed

Visit site
Just bought a Garmin AIS-800 and has it connected to a Furuno GP7000 chart plotter by NMEA 0183. In order to make that work, I need to power up the NMEA2000-system, although I am not using the NMEA2000. Strange, but so it is.
Is it possible to connect the yellow power cable for the NMEA2000 directly to the AIS to avoid cable mess?
Best, Erik

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Just bought a Garmin AIS-800 and has it connected to a Furuno GP7000 chart plotter by NMEA 0183. In order to make that work, I need to power up the NMEA2000-system, although I am not using the NMEA2000. Strange, but so it is.
Is it possible to connect the yellow power cable for the NMEA2000 directly to the AIS to avoid cable mess?
Best, Erik

Which yellow wire are you referring to ?

pvb

Visit site

If you are using the NMEA0183 output to the chartplotter, there's no reason to connect to NMEA2000. You can power the AIS800 with the power/data cable.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

If all you are doing is connecting the AIS to the plotter using NMEA 0183, rather than creating a NMEA 2000 network (pretty pointless as the plotter doesn't support N2K), then do not connect this cable, at all.

Connect the red (+12v) and black (-12v) cables in the power/NMEA0183 cable to the boats 12v system (fit a fuse in the red wire). You then need to connect a switched -12v to the yellow wire in the power/NMEA cable (not the yellow N2K cable).

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Its not entirely clear, but I think what you're saying is that the AIS-800 takes its power from the NMEA-2000 backbone?

If you just need it to provide power then its probably worth trying what you suggest, connect up the power feed NMEA2K cable and plug it directly into the plotter, it should work. And if you aren't using a the network features it will save having to add in 2x resistors, junctions etc just to power the plotter.

Sorry, but this is all entirely incorrect.

cobolt

Visit site
To the OP, you're not right in saying you need to power a NMEA2K network to power the AIS800 device and feed NMEA0183.

If you look on page 3 of the installation manual (rather than page 2), you will see the method of powering the AIS800 and feeding NMEA0183, when NMEA2K is not needed....this is the diagram you should follow.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
To the OP, you're not right in saying you need to power a NMEA2K network to power the AIS800 device and feed NMEA0183.

If you look on page 3 of the installation manual (rather than page 2), you will see the method of powering the AIS800 and feeding NMEA0183, when NMEA2K is not needed....this is the diagram you should follow.

It's wired for power the same way, whether you want the N2K network or not, just as i described in post #6

The diagram on page 2 is for the N2K network, which needs an additional power cable. It still needs the power connections on page 3, the AIS cannot be powered from the N2K bus.

cobolt

Visit site
OK, that's really not clear in the manual, especially for someone not familiar with the limits of power supply via the Bus. Actually the only way (using purely the manual) to confirm this is to look at the current draw data, and then the LEN, and then look up the LEN value to note that it is significantly less than the required current.

Quite shoddy writing from Garmin, usually their manuals are great.....the headings imply the diagrams under NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 headings are the required connections for those scenarios.

A simple change to the second heading to say "Power and NMEA0183 device connections" would make this much clearer, or a note under the NMEA2000 section to state that separate power needs to be supplied through the included Power/Data cable.

pvb

Visit site
OK, that's really not clear in the manual, especially for someone not familiar with the limits of power supply via the Bus. Actually the only way (using purely the manual) to confirm this is to look at the current draw data, and then the LEN, and then look up the LEN value to note that it is significantly less than the required current.

Quite shoddy writing from Garmin, usually their manuals are great.....the headings imply the diagrams under NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 headings are the required connections for those scenarios.

A simple change to the second heading to say "Power and NMEA0183 device connections" would make this much clearer, or a note under the NMEA2000 section to state that separate power needs to be supplied through the included Power/Data cable.

I don't think it's shoddy. The installation instructions quite clearly say "Route the wiring harness to the power source and to the device."

eriknoed

Visit site
UPDATE:
Received a call from Garmin hotline:
When connecting AIS-800 to chart plotter by NMEA0183:
Only the power/data cable is needed. Due to change of colouring of the data wires, the WHITE goes to (-).
The Silent-mode is GREEN.
Now we know.
Thanks for comments

PaulRainbow

Visit site
UPDATE:
Received a call from Garmin hotline:
When connecting AIS-800 to chart plotter by NMEA0183:
Only the power/data cable is needed. Due to change of colouring of the data wires, the WHITE goes to (-).
The Silent-mode is GREEN.
Now we know.
Thanks for comments

Hmmm........

pvb

Visit site
You know, the great thing about NMEA2000 is that you just plug everything together, and it works. Much easier than having to follow instructions.:rolleyes:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I normally like Garmin products, but at £800 i wouldn't want to recommend this AIS.

The Emtrak B-100, at less then £400, supports NMEA 0183, N2K and USB and comes with internal and external GPS. British made too.

The Garmin AIS does have a built in splitter, but for £475 you could have the Emtrak B-100 with a splitter (the sailpack), or fit a 2nd antenna.

Last edited: