Position of gas test point.

G

To update the gas installation I have been advised to fit a test point as near to the stove as possible. Is this advice correct? Is there any reason for this position instead of the gas locker? Thanks in advance.

G

It seems to me that pressure will be the same anywhere along the piping so the position will be imaterial. I have had the BSS done and my gas point is almost at the far end of the line, no problem from the examiner.

G

Yes there are reasons:-

Phil,

There would seem to be some considerable confusion as to the need for and location of, a gas test point (to comply with the BSS).

I understood that only boats “plying for hire” are REQUIRED to have a gas test-point. This MUST be placed at the furthest end of the gas run or as near as practical. The pressure is NOT the same, as heavy use at an intermediate point will reduce flow to distant appliances. Which is what this test is looking for, hence the position.

For a simple pressure vs. time measurement, (as required for a privately owned craft, to check for slow leaks etc.) A test point is helpful, the position is less important, but I would (and did) still place this at the most distant end of the run. But keep it away from heat sources as some earlier test points had a nylon washer, which will not like being heated.

I understand that “bubble-testers” usually fitted in the gas locker, may now be disallowed, so check on this before installing one.

Your only real option is to consult with your examiner and do as they recommend, taking a second opinion, if what they suggest is particularly daft, (in your opinion).

Cheers, CRB

G

How to test your gas line with no equipment at all.

It may not meet regulations but testing for leaks is very easy. The following is extracted from an article on how to make a DIY propane control, plus some facts on pressure regulators and solenoid valves that everyone should read. The full article is at

http://www.yandina.com/hints.htm#Propane

Here is the extract.

With the appliance off, or just after turning it off, turn the solenoid off as normal. This will leave the gas line pressurized and that pressure should remain undiminished for at least 30 minutes if there are no leaks in the low pressure side of your system. After 1/2 hour, turn the appliance on but leave the solenoid off, and with a flame or audibly listen for the supply line to release the small quantity of gas which still should be under pressure in the line. The amount will depend on the length of run and tube diameter but you should be familiar with what is normal and notice any degradation.

G

The standing pressure ie with no burners lit will be equal throughout the pipe but it is the working pressure at the appliance with burners lit which is important so a test nipple close to each appliance is desirable.If the pipework is undersize or kinked the pressure will drop substantially at the burner.Over or under gassing can lead to the production of carbon monoxide which is invisible has no smell and kills.