Portuguese residency - current situation - advice needed

Forty_Two

Visit site
It seems that residency will lapse if you spend more then 180 days out of the country in a year.

So the residency is great for those who intend to effectively move or spend say 7 months away, but not so good for just getting round the 90/180.

I have read this is the case in most if not all Schengen countries.

jordanbasset

Visit site
It seems that residency will lapse if you spend more then 180 days out of the country in a year.

So the residency is great for those who intend to effectively move or spend say 7 months away, but not so good for just getting round the 90/180.

Agree, or at least certainly what I was told in writing by a Spanish solicitor following an enquiry by me, for Spain at least

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

That's fine, I would hope to spend at least seven months a year in the Canaries.

- W

greeny

Visit site
Where can you get one of these? Do you need an address in he EU before you get it?

- W
from Healthcare for UK nationals living in Spain

How to get an S1 form
If you have a UK State Pension, you must request an application form by phone from the Overseas Healthcare Services. This is part of the NHS Business Services Authority (BSA).

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm
How to use an S1 form in Spain
You must register your S1 at your local INSS office.

The INSS will give you a Spanish social security number. Take this to your local healthcare centre to register.

You’ll be given a medical card which you can use when you visit a doctor.

Google works

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Issue of an S1 appears to be an admission that one has emigrated from the UK whereas many want to remain UK tax resident. Do those who take up residence in Spain have to fully integrate as far as taxes are concerned?

I am very interested in hearing the answer to this...

Will be phoning for an S1 tomorrow.

- W

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Issue of an S1 appears to be an admission that one has emigrated from the UK whereas many want to remain UK tax resident. Do those who take up residence in Spain have to fully integrate as far as taxes are concerned?
We did because we stared a Spanish company, if just coming to retire, I don't know.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Considering the numbers of expat Brits in Spain, I'm surprised how little we hear about the residency issues there compared to Portugal and Greece - are they mainly landlubbers? Maybe a separate thread (not Forum) concentrating on Spain would be more forthcoming?
Tell me what you want to know specifically, and I will try to answer you..

Spain: register your residency

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Considering the numbers of expat Brits in Spain, I'm surprised how little we hear about the residency issues there compared to Portugal and Greece - are they mainly landlubbers? Maybe a separate thread (not Forum) concentrating on Spain would be more forthcoming?

Good idea.

Think the thread title is very important. As an example, Vic’s Coronavirus and Greece and Chris’ Greek Cruising Tax update are huge successes.?

Of course, there are other solutions?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Tell me what you want to know specifically, and I will try to answer you..
Spain: register your residency

Thanks. I personally don't need to know anything except for general knowledge but from time to time, others do. Lets compare with retirees (who are the majority of boaties) obtaining residence in Portugal.

Folks can use a marina or boatyard as well as the usual property address to obtain residency.

We are included in the health system free of charge, and can get an EHIC for use throughout EU.

If no earnings here, we don't have to pay taxes if we don't want, due to agreement with UK. We don't have to matriculate our boat or have any local qualifications to drive/sail local boats.

For 5 year initial residence, no need to provide financial details to support application.

How does obtaining Spanish residency differ? What hoops do people have to jump through?

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Thanks. I personally don't need to know anything except for general knowledge but from time to time, others do. Lets compare with retirees (who are the majority of boaties) obtaining residence in Portugal.
I'm not retired.

Folks can use a marina or boatyard as well as the usual property address to obtain residency.
That I don't know.

We are included in the health system free of charge, and can get an EHIC for use throughout EU.
If you pay social security yes. If you're retired I don't know.

If no earnings here, we don't have to pay taxes if we don't want, due to agreement with UK. We don't have to matriculate our boat or have any local qualifications to drive/sail local boats.
Matriculation on your boat if become resident yes. No income no tax as far as I'm aware.

For 5 year initial residence, no need to provide financial details to support application.
Yes you do.

How does obtaining Spanish residency differ? What hoops do people have to jump through?
I don't know as I'm not au fait with the Portuguese system. But no loopholes, it was a painless form filling process.

Over the last 20 odd years I've had Turkish and French residency and the application for Spanish was not much different, no loopholes as you put it, play the game and it's straightforward.

ean_p

Visit site
'Over the last 20 odd years I've had Turkish and French residency and the application for Spanish was not much different, no loopholes as you put it, play the game and it's straightforward. '

@Clancy Moped
Is it 'legal' to have both French and Spanish residency as are you not required to spend at least 6 months per year in the countries in order to be 'resident, the residencies lapsing if you don't?

Ah ! just reread and digested...not necessarily held concurrently by yourself!

Clancy Moped

Visit site
'Over the last 20 odd years I've had Turkish and French residency and the application for Spanish was not much different, no loopholes as you put it, play the game and it's straightforward. '

@Clancy Moped
Is it 'legal' to have both French and Spanish residency as are you not required to spend at least 6 months per year in the countries in order to be 'resident, the residencies lapsing if you don't?

Ah ! just reread and digested...not necessarily held concurrently by yourself!
Correct, and no is the answer.