Portugal loves us!

greeny

Visit site
Portugal loves us???? Just been down to car registration dept and then to Customs with a mate to get a price for importing his Spanish reg. car, 1998 Merc C180 petrol. Import duty €8,000 I kid you not!

However, as he has recently taken up residence, he may be able to reduce that bill to zero IF he can provide the necessary documentation and prove that he lived in Spain before coming here. As he didn't actually live there, just had tax ref. looks like the dtp will be working overtime.:) Has just under 12 months now to get paperwork sorted.

Please mention to your friend that the importation of his british car as new resident may not be as attractive as it first seems.
My friend imported a Mercedes under the same circumstances (new residence). Import taxes zero, just some minor paperwork charges I believe. However when it came to paying his "road tax" he found he was paying circa 5 times as much as an equivalent portuguese car was paying of the same age and engine size. This was because his car was considered a "new" registration in Portugal and therefore had to meet that year's much more stringent emission criteria than the same portuguese car that had been here from original registration. The Portuguese car was taxed against the criteria back when the car was first registered. My friends recently registered car was taxed against todays much more stringent criteria and therefore had to pay much more tax per year and for the rest of it's life. It's worth checking this out before importing it.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Please mention to your friend that the importation of his british car as new resident may not be as attractive as it first seems.

The car is Spanish but rhd and is registered in Spain at a relative's address who's now gone back to UK and cancelled his Spanish registration/residency. This now leaves my mate with a Spanish registered car in Portugal which, without an address in Spain, he evidently won't be able to tax when due. In book terms the car isn't worth much but he's spent a fortune getting it restored to showroom condition.

Visit site
The car is Spanish but rhd and is registered in Spain at a relative's address who's now gone back to UK and cancelled his Spanish registration/residency. This now leaves my mate with a Spanish registered car in Portugal which, without an address in Spain, he evidently won't be able to tax when due. In book terms the car isn't worth much but he's spent a fortune getting it restored to showroom condition.

The most sensible course would be to flog it in Spain. As an aside I wouldn't want to own a rhd. car on the continent

Pavalijo

Visit site
I
As an aside, it will be interesting to see how many British boaties currently around the EU move to Portugal?
Can I ask if Portugal are offering the opportunity to stay there for more than the 3 month Schengen allowance without any form of residency?
If so then if we exit without a transition period then we will have to relocate from the Spanish Rias to Portugal before the end of July (unless Spain were to offer something similar).
Or are they simply offering to make it easy to get through the airport with a UK only lane?

nortada

Visit site
If you plan to remain in Portugal, Spain or any other EU state for more than 90 days you are supposed to register with the local counsel - in Portugal regularly ignored.

When you register you get temporary residency for 5 years; which you can rescind at any time so as you are now resident in Portugal, Schengen will
not apply on Portugal. The jury is still out on Schengen elsewhere.

As to the other questions you raise, they are already covered in this and other threads on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site

If the car was first registered in the UK re-registration is relatively easy and not too expensive. The big trick is to ensure it is taken of the Spanish registration.

Pavalijo

Visit site
If you plan to remain in Portugal, Spain or any other EU state for more than 90 days you are supposed to register with the local counsel - in Portugal regularly ignored.

When you register you get temporary residency for 5 years; which you can rescind at any time so as you are now resident in Portugal, Schengen will
not apply on Portugal. The jury is still out on Schengen elsewhere.

As to the other questions you raise, they are already covered in this and other threads on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I am vaguely aware of the residency issue, but without an annual marina contract I just wondered whether Portugal are intending to offer longer stay vacation visas rather than as reported in the linked article simply making it easy to pass through an airport and issues affecting those with residency status. I assume there is no such hope on the horizon yet!

nortada

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I am vaguely aware of the residency issue, but without an annual marina contract I just wondered whether Portugal are intending to offer longer stay vacation visas rather than as reported in the linked article simply making it easy to pass through an airport and issues affecting those with residency status. I assume there is no such hope on the horizon yet!

Folk are registering without an annual marina contract.

Remember, it is a requirement to register with the camara, if you intend a long stay in Portugal.

Depending on the camara you visit they are not too concerned about you confirming your residence and lenght of stay so I suspect if to turn up with any mooring contract - say a month - then you will be able to register.

Do remember that the attitudes between camaras vary so you need to do a bit of research.

Heckler

Visit site
Folk are registering without an annual marina contract.

Remember, it is a requirement to register with the camara, if you intend a long stay in Portugal.

Depending on the camara you visit they are not too concerned about you confirming your residence and lenght of stay so I suspect if to turn up with any mooring contract - say a month - then you will be able to register.

Do remember that the attitudes between camaras vary so you need to do a bit of research.
Friends went yesterday to register. They reported that camper van peeps are now registering without a prob. Campsite address sufficient.

nortada

Visit site
Friends went yesterday to register. They reported that camper van peeps are now registering without a prob. Campsite address sufficient.

Good to hear.

The way things are going, I suspect Portuguese motor-home parks and marinas could become very busy!

A win-win. Good for Portugal and good for the Brit visitors.

Wonder how long before there is a ferry service Portsmouth/Plymouth to Oporto com Lisboa(Just exercising my Portuguese).:encouragement: ;)

Last edited:

emandvee44

Visit site
Wonder how long before there is a ferry service Portsmouth/Plymouth to Oporto com Lisboa(Just exercising my Portuguese).
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?514108-Portugal-loves-us!/page6#toecyhwWKtCY4Rtr.99

HaHa - a few years ago we had a ro-ro ferry service from Leixoes to UK. (forget Porto - it is no longer a port except for transit vessels going up-river to load stone). The ro-ro service shut down for presumably economic reasons, and later a new service started from Leixoes to Holland - three times a week currently. Foreign flag (Maltese) foreign crews (do you speak Russian?) of course thanks to the EU Governments selling out of their Merchant Navies.

Michael.

scotty123

Visit site
My friend imported a Mercedes under the same circumstances (new residence). Import taxes zero, just some minor paperwork charges I believe. However when it came to paying his "road tax" he found he was paying circa 5 times as much as an equivalent portuguese car was paying of the same age and engine size. This was because his car was considered a "new" registration in Portugal and therefore had to meet that year's much more stringent emission criteria than the same portuguese car that had been here from original registration. The Portuguese car was taxed against the criteria back when the car was first registered. My friends recently registered car was taxed against todays much more stringent criteria and therefore had to pay much more tax per year and for the rest of it's life. It's worth checking this out before importing it.

An email from someone currently living in Portugal, in regard to registration of cars.

"it’s true and another example of EU bullshit. Cars in Portugal are the most expensive in Europe – the government puts extra tax on cars (which everyone needs) and it’s a good little earner for them. It’s also illegal under EU rules where, as you know, it is meant to be one big tariff free happy family. So the EU fine Portugal every year which they gladly pay because they are making so much from tax on cars !"

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
IIRC, the tax on new cars whether built in Portugal or imported, is around 45% and it follows on through the price of used. Had a glance at a C220 Merc estate on a car lot, auto, 2004, 235,000 km, €9,950. Cars do last much longer here than in the UK as no winter salt on roads and far less rain.

maxi77

Visit site
IIRC, the tax on new cars whether built in Portugal or imported, is around 45% and it follows on through the price of used. Had a glance at a C220 Merc estate on a car lot, auto, 2004, 235,000 km, €9,950. Cars do last much longer here than in the UK as no winter salt on roads and far less rain.

Road tax is a lot less though

rivonia

Visit site
An email from someone currently living in Portugal, in regard to registration of cars.

"it’s true and another example of EU bullshit. Cars in Portugal are the most expensive in Europe – the government puts extra tax on cars (which everyone needs) and it’s a good little earner for them. It’s also illegal under EU rules where, as you know, it is meant to be one big tariff free happy family. So the EU fine Portugal every year which they gladly pay because they are making so much from tax on cars !"

Ha Ha. Not true as CYPRUS has the most expensive cars in Europe. The only advantage is that they do not depreciate. Our car is worth the same now as it was five years ago.