Portland Bill : personal experience

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Having totally cocked up timings on my last trip West, I think St Aldhems ledge can just as unpleasant as the Bill in typical cruising conditions.
Coming back East, took the inshore route all the way from Lyme Regis and got to Portland a little early so gilled about off Fortuneswell waiting for the recommended time and ended up motoring round close in to the Bill. Loads of pots and fishing boats but easily spotted in the sunshine! (the pots that is:))
Will always use Portland marina over Weymouth due to excessive crowding and long hike from the Cove to the showers, also The Cove was very noisy until late on a summer evening rammed with drunks and idiots. The marina was about the same price with better facilities.
Yes, but if you're a drunk idiot like me, Weymouth is GREAT!

Actually, we're in the Boatfolk marina after the bridge which is pretty peaceful - and the showers are dead posh.

We are experiencing Weymouth's height of culture & sophistication tonight - the Bee Gees experience at the Pavilion - it's the wife, honest!😊

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We hate Weymouth. Sorry, there it is.
Each to their own of course, but in its defence,

1. Great fish & chips
2. A couple of nice "posh" restaurants
3. Rowing boat ferries across the harbour
4. A fine old harbour
5. A nice stroll on the disused railway to Chesil beach
6. A couple of very good coffee shops
7. Donkeys!
8. A hive of watery activity
9. Chandlery
10. RSPB reserve
11. Hippy refill shop
12. Free fireworks every Monday - with Churros at the Stone Pier cafe if you like
13. A tribute band for all tastes at the Pavilion
14. Supermarkets from M&S to Asda
15. A rather nostalgic "kiss me quick" approach to the incredibly well used beach
16. Traditional fairground attractions
17. George III history
18. Friendly sailing club
19. Have a beer at the adjacent pub whilst waiting for the bridge
20. Buses to the Bill and around the coast

I should work for the Weymouth tourist board!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Nah. The knotted hanky, beer bellied drunken fish and chip brigade are too much for us. As you say, horses for courses, Weymouth is their town, they can fill their boots, we simply go elsewhere.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Nah. The knotted hanky, beer bellied drunken fish and chip brigade are too much for us. As you say, horses for courses, Weymouth is their town, they can fill their boots, we simply go elsewhere.
Ah, you've seen me out on the town!😊

There does seem to be a remarkable display of tattoos these days!

A gentleman always takes his fish & chips with a reasonably strong English breakfast style tea (leaves & from a proper pot), never beer! 🍟🐟🫖

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Ah, you've seen me out on the town!😊

There does seem to be a remarkable display of tattoos these days!

A gentleman always takes his fish & chips with a reasonably strong English breakfast style tea (leaves & from a proper pot), never beer! 🍟🐟🫖
It’s not the beer I object to, but the number of pints. Though personally I’m with you on the tea.

Cspirit

Visit site
Back to the Race: a few days ago we came through the inshore passage going east, westerly 4/5, early east going tide and staying a biscuit toss from the coast. All text book and thus very good. No pots south of the Bill but immediately to the east close in quite a few submerged by the tide so as others have mentioned, a careful lookout needed.

However, a few weeks earlier going west we opted for the offshore route as we had a F5 westerly. We stayed five mile off and it was rough - not impossibly so but very uncomfortable and tiring so instead of heading to Torbay we scuttled to Lyme. Tied up to the floating pontoons expecting an uncomfortable stay but it was surprisingly steady, unlike the elderly crew trying to stay upright while negotiating said pontoons to the pub. The only negative experience was the first words from the assistant harbour master: “You’re too big!” - I assume he meant the boat, we’re 10.8 m. He the said: “You should go to Bridport”. Not the best welcome for knackered sailors seeking refuge…….

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Back to the Race: a few days ago we came through the inshore passage going east, westerly 4/5, early east going tide and staying a biscuit toss from the coast. All text book and thus very good. No pots south of the Bill but immediately to the east close in quite a few submerged by the tide so as others have mentioned, a careful lookout needed.

However, a few weeks earlier going west we opted for the offshore route as we had a F5 westerly. We stayed five mile off and it was rough - not impossibly so but very uncomfortable and tiring so instead of heading to Torbay we scuttled to Lyme. Tied up to the floating pontoons expecting an uncomfortable stay but it was surprisingly steady, unlike the elderly crew trying to stay upright while negotiating said pontoons to the pub. The only negative experience was the first words from the assistant harbour master: “You’re too big!” - I assume he meant the boat, we’re 10.8 m. He the said: “You should go to Bridport”. Not the best welcome for knackered sailors seeking refuge…….
The visitors moorings were very secure but a touch rolly - the pontoons were much better but, in the info, it implies 10m length & 1.5m draft limit.

johnalison

Visit site
Weymouth is rather better than many of its visitors deserve, but I enjoyed going there. We used to stay by the office or in the Cove but got a bit soft and changed to the marina later. I believe that our favourite restaurant Floods no longer exists but I dare say that others now exist. It can be good fun if you are there during an event such as the trawler battle, as I think it is called.
'05a (32).jpg

FairweatherDave

Visit site
We returned from our trip west and went round the Bill inshore on 7th Aug from Dartmouth. Forecast for 8th was wet and force 6 whereas for the 7th Windy was showing lots of westerly green with a brief hint of orange towards the end of the day, which for us I interpret as moderate but getting a little bit fresh for a time. As only my second time returning round the Bill I try to follow the guidance to the letter, and aim to get a mile or two north of the tip on the west side, and not get there early. Judging that is a challenge as the tide switches as we were halfway across and went from romping along to a bit of a crawl. Throughout Lyme Bay I was wondering what the Bill would be like as there was quite a swell. Also the guidance advises against the inshore passage in anything more than moderate winds if they are onshore.(Well all directions at Portland Bill are onshore unless they have a lot of north in them, its got 3 sides :). Anyhow I was quite pleased with our timing accross Lyme Bay but we were 10 minutes early, 6.20pm not 6.30. In our other roundings there has always been a very obvious flat water passage close in. Not this time. A big confused sea greeted us. Whatever direction the current was going I don't think it was an issue but the sea state was, and for about 10 minutes the adrenalin was really flowing as we went through big short peaks and troughs from all directions. And then we were through and all very civilised. But I did feel I had pushed my luck.

SaltyC

Visit site

Hmmmm, glad at 11.3m I anchored outside the mooring buoys for a very peaceful night in June.