Portishead entrance (again)

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
It seems that some visitors have been confused by all the pretty lights when approaching from seaward, so one set of traffic lights have been turned off, for a trial period.

The marina management would appreciate any constructive feedback.

The only traffic lights (RRR/GWG) are now on the port side, immediately in front of the outer lock gates....

....and please don't forget that Green White Green means "proceed under instruction", not "sprint for the gates as soon as they open" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

graham

Visit site
I have only locked in in the dark once or twice at Portishead.I thought the lights were plain enough but the shadow made it look as if the gate was still shut despite the GwG lights I crept forward slowly until it all became clear.(Could have been salt on the specs )

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
We have had various experiments with the lighting in the past, and now it is a compromise between illumination and not dazzling incoming vessels.

Just to reassure you, safety interlocks mean the lights can't be changed to green until the gates are fully opened. (Unless there is some other problem and the opening is being controlled manually instead of automatically /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

graham

Visit site
Too dark is better than too dazzly.I entered the Barrage lock behind a charter fishing boat not long ago I was about 50 foot outside when he switched on two aft facing deck lights fixed to the back of the wheelhouse. I couldnt see a damn thing from then on.

Other threads that may be of interest