Porthmadog and Portmerion

Habebty

Visit site
How easy is entry and anchoring in this area or is it just moorings and pontoons? Any local tips for a 1.4 m draft bilge keeler. Are there strong river flows in the summer? Is anchoring permitted off Portmerion?

Just after some first hand info before I interogate the almanacs and pilot guides, talking of which, is there a good pilot guide for North Wales?

Thanks

Tarka2015

Visit site
Ralph Morris Cruising Anglesey and Surrounding Waters!! Best and most complete pilot I have ever read. If you are in the area then I would also recommend a visit to Morfa Lagoon by Shell Island. If you arrive at about an hour into the flood you will pop through the very narrow gap like a cork. You can then either turn right towards habitation or left to tranquility. I found it hard to set the anchor after turning right (a cqr ) so went up river and picked up an empty mooring in the river, it dries out but was wonderfully peaceful. You need to leave the lagoon pretty close to high tide but it is a mooring that I will remember.

Bilge Rat

Visit site
It's a few years since we've been in to Porthmadog but we did visit a couple of times with our old fin keel 30 footer (1.5metre draft). The channel through the sands moves frequently so the best advice is to call the harbourmaster a day or so before you visit to find out the latest situation. You also used to be able to pick up a sketch plan from the reception in Hafan Pwllheli. Any pilot guide is likely to be out of date before it's printed in respect of the entrance channel.
With a bilge keeler you'll be able to dry out on the pontoons at Madog Yacht Club but we used to have to take a fore & aft mooring for our boat. Given the right conditions, you might be able to anchor nearer the entrance but iirc the harbour area was pretty crowded with moorings & pontoons.
We used the Ffestioniog railway to visit Portmerion but I have heard of people crossing the estuary on foot at low tide.
Hopefully someone else will be along with some more recent experience but we thoroughly enjoyed our visits there.

TSB240

Visit site
If you contact harbour master he will E mail you latest channel bouy positions.
Madog yacht club one of the friendliest clubs I have ever visited. They can also be a good source of info, you need to prebook visiting on there drying pontoons.
Not sure about anchoring at Port Merion. I have been there by dinghy from Porthmadog. Not exactly sure but I believe that Clough Ellis decreed that anyone visiting by sea could do so without paying the entrance fee? Be carefull you might end up a prisoner!
Borthyguest is also suitable for a drying out bilge keeler as is also another spot locally in the lagoon at Shell Island.

C08

Visit site
We used to visit Porthmierion and dry out near the beach with the "concrete boat" feature. It may have changed now but sometimes there was a deep and fast running channel very close to the beach that could put even a twin keel boat in some some difficulty if you dry half in and half out of this. I think you need local and up to date advice before venturing over there. Also not much water so horror of horrors getting neaped could be a possibility.

Juggler7823

Visit site
I think you need local and up to date advice before venturing over there. Also not much water so horror of horrors getting neaped could be a possibility.

Its probably close to 12 years since we dropped the hook at Porthmeirion in our bilge keel Fulmar. Its a delightful place but not without its problems. We entered the channel following the normal buoyage, and when we were level with the little headland with the stone building on it struck off directly for Porthmeirion. We moored at the flat area just on the wooded shore. Great barbeque. Got neaped on next tide. Left on second tide, just!

You do need to recce it first or get local knowledge. Only attempt it on a rising Spring tide.