Porthcawl Marina

Sneds

Visit site
Does anyone have any idea what happened to the plans to create a"locked" marina in porthcawl?
I think it would be ideally placed.
As would a marina in Ilfracombe.
I've seen various reports and news items about both but nothing seems to get any further than that.
Anyone else agree? (Or not of course)!

lancelot

Visit site
As far as I am aware plans appear to have gone through, a construction co. have been identified and work should should begin early 2012. This info. came from a local paper about 2/3 months ago. Hopefully, this time it will go ahead. The plan is also for a large Tesco to be built nearby. Perhaps they go hand in hand.
It would be wonderful to have a marina in Porthcawl, since, there is nothing really between Swansea and Cardiff. One in Ilfracombe would be great too.
I did post a thread some time ago regarding the proposed marina in Porthcawl.
Lets hope this time it will be completed - unless it was to be funded through Euro funds.
Fair winds,
Lancelot

graham

Visit site
Unless massive dredging is part of the deal then it will only be available for 2 to 3 hours +- HW.

The exact time of earliest entrance/exit lock will have a big impact on its success as a visitors destination for yachts.Not such an issue in fast powerboats.

I used Porthcawl Harbour once for an overnight stop in a small Bilgekeeler. I think the main reason then was having left Mumbles in flat calm we realized we didnt have sufficient fuel to motor all the way to Cardiff . In those carefree days an extra day or two didnt matter much :)

Last edited:

TFM

Visit site
Sat in on a public meeting held in Porthcawl last month with BCBC, Tesco and local traders; the proposed retail developments were being discussed.

BCBC also confirmed that the first phase of the harbour redevelopment will go ahead shortly albeit a much smaller proposition than first anticipated.

In a nutshell reconstruction of the sea wall, new lock gates and berthing for 50 leisure and commercial craft?

zlod

Visit site
A marina at Porthcawl would be a dream. It's somewhere I'd love to go. There looks to be some good walking near there and seems to be a good distance from Portishead. All in all I think it would be an excellent place to go to.