Portable generators by Hyundai or Honda ?

ashtead

Visit site
I appreciate many dislike these but does anyone have experience of Hyundai or say Yam compared to the premium Honda versions- I saw a Costco offer on a Yam which set me thinking on basis it might be useful not just in boat situation but to run pressure washers and power tools

lusitano

Visit site
I have a Hyundai 15hp 4000 psi pressure washer, and a 500 lpm high pressure pump ,also Hyundai.
Both several years old now and no problems at all so far.
More competition in the market now and I,m not sure Honda can justify their extra money

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I bought a Honda a couple of years ago because I have Honda stuff that is incredibly reliable. The genset is light, somewhat quiet but still loud, so dont be taken by the silent blurd, it’s not.

I have a low cost genset from a national tool supplier that has a rough voltage output and sounds rough; it is not silenced at all. The Honda sounds smoother, and I wonder if that translates to smoother voltage. I have never tried to measure and compare.

Both gensets are very reliable, so from a cost perspective the rough one wins hands down if noise and voltage stability is not a concern.

NBs

Visit site
I have a honda 2000i, I don't even use it once a year anymore, but when I tat it, it will start max 2 strokes. The machine is over 10 years old and in the early days I used it a lot. I have seen the frustration of owners of other brands as they jam to get the "chinuski" genny fired up. Just my thoughts

P.S. I use small engine gasoline maybe synthetic, not regular gasoline that can't be stored for long periods of time.

V1701

Visit site
Such as these things seem to be gaining in popularity and will get cheaper, depends what you want to use it for I guess but they can run power tools, even seen someone welding with one of the bigger units...

Boathook

Visit site
Such as these things seem to be gaining in popularity and will get cheaper, depends what you want to use it for I guess but they can run power tools, even seen someone welding with one of the bigger units...
When they run out of power you then require a generator to charge them up.
Must admit that these might be good in boatyards when down for the day working or if boating for a few days.

ashtead

Visit site
Thanks for all the the posts and PM. I am not that attracted by the super power blocks V1701 even though I have a small one for car battery starting which has proved very useful but cost around£50 as opposed to many times that. I just need to check out best sources of Hyundai -I was mainly concern with reliability issues and starting after inactivity but I guess buying gardeners fuel in blue cans might help there as per chainsaws and lawnmowers etc not having the time to clean petrol station fuel. I have read of the Honda and seen a few at boat show on offer but it seems that for the price a Hyundai looks and weighs in ok.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I always use E5 premium petrol with Honda fuel additive for all my small engines, lawnmower, strimmer, small generator and small Honda outboard. All now start easily even after a years non use.

Refueler

Visit site
I have had various gensets over the years ... cheap Wolf sets as rebranded by many of the DIY stores ... noisy but worked .... but did not like induction motors ... ie a 600w Genset would not start a 500w inductive motor item ... but was happy to power a 600w old style motor.

Briggs and Stratton various Handy gens as back up to house during old days when ex soviet power cables would fail !! Only failure was when my gardener left a 3kw Handygen plugged in when town power cam back on !! Fried the genny bit - but engine still good.

Its recc'd now to go for inverter form gennys .... not really sure why - but that's the general read I get.

I can remember Honda forcing a few copycat brands of the market ... gennys that were every bit as good but without the 'brand name' pricing.

What would I get ? Honda or Hyundai ?? Based on purchase of a Hyundai Chainsaw last year that was 35% the price of a similar power / size Stihl / Husqvarna ... and it cuts / works just as good .. even with my hamfisted bad operation ... I think I would go for the Hyundai Genny ....

DownWest

Visit site
Have a (borrowed) Hyundai 3Kv set in the shed at the mo. Quite quiet and starts without hassle, until the last time. Need to sort the prob...
My other Hyundai kit is very good for the price.

ashtead

Visit site
Generators direct seem a possible source at £424 but will look at Pembroke Dock mentioned.yes would second using E5 at least before a winter sleep but I tend to use with Hayter when I can.

Boathook

Visit site
Generators direct seem a possible source at £424 but will look at Pembroke Dock mentioned.yes would second using E5 at least before a winter sleep but I tend to use with Hayter when I can.
I read somewhere that some finish the season with Aspen fuel as it doesn't 'go off'.

My garden power tools like the Aspen two stroke stuff and started well after 5 months.

Refueler

Visit site
I read somewhere that some finish the season with Aspen fuel as it doesn't 'go off'.

My garden power tools like the Aspen two stroke stuff and started well after 5 months.

I launchede my motor boat other day with its 20HP Mariner ....
The Fuel can has sat in my garage since boat was lifted out last autumn.
Nothing was done to engine or fuel can contents.
Connected fuel - pumped till bulb hard.
Choke out ... pull through couple of times til she fired.
Choke in and 2 pulls and she was running as good as any ... gave her a few minutes to clear and then went for a spin on the river.

Fuel ? Standard pump 95 octane (10% Ethanol) .... straight universal 2T oil.

Strimmers checked other day - same fuel ... no problem.

Lawn tractors - no problem - straight 95 as they are 4 strokers.

I have never had any need for fancy gasoline alternatives.

Tremyporth

Visit site
I was in the Pembroke Dock Hyundai place about 3 weeks ago. Found them very helpful. Asked about quality of bearings in battery angle grinder needed for some mooring surgery. Answer was they may be plastic, not metal, but there is a 3 year guarantee on the tool, so if it were to fail in that time they "would probably replace it".

Bouba

Visit site
In Africa I used to have 1KVA two stroke generators…cost less than $100 and worked fine.
My point is that you are paying for the refinement and sensitivity to delicate electronics..but they ail work pretty well. I would go by weight and your budget. I have a Honda 2KVA , expensive but nice