portable generator. Which one?

ST840

Visit site
My house batteries will only last a couple of nights with the fridge running, radio playing and lights etc. If i want to go away for more than that but have no access to shore power, im going to need a portable generator. Which one would be recommended, and what strength? Id also like to use my 240v tv if possible. Would the generator plug into my shore power socket and run from that at 240v??

markc

Visit site
I think a Honda engine based suitcase generator will be a good choice. I have one, not sure the make, but was about £300 and about 1200w, just make up a 3 pin 13 amp plug to shore power command socket on the boat. Obviously run it away from the boat, or if on the foredeck or bathing platform make sure the fumes are not blown into the boat. CO detector is a good shout.

fred247

Visit site
My house batteries will only last a couple of nights with the fridge running, radio playing and lights etc. If i want to go away for more than that but have no access to shore power, im going to need a portable generator. Which one would be recommended, and what strength? Id also like to use my 240v tv if possible. Would the generator plug into my shore power socket and run from that at 240v??
I would suggest getting a 2/3kw genny I have an Hyundai 1kw and never used it on board its too small. with a bigger output you'll find it far more useful !

ST840

Visit site
So I need to look for a 2-3kw version. What makes are the best in terms of reliability and quietness?? Or is it the same situation as diesel air heaters, as in the market leading expensive ones are the same as a Chinese version but with a major player sticker??

limecc

Visit site
Kipor used to manufacture Honda generators under license. Guess where they got their own designs from when they lost the contract. We've seen this before with outboards and diesel heaters of course..

I seem to have formed a Bigplumbs-like collection, except of suitcase generators over the years. Sold a Kipor 5Kw diesel to some nice people who like to tarmac driveways but still have the 3Kw Hyundai and 2.6Kw Briggs & Stratton gennys, also a 700w Clarke that can power a 900w Microwave which I think is pretty amazing considering the startup current might be +50% and that's the peak rating. It's also the quietest of the three, similar to a baby Honda I think. Non-sinewave though.

Boy is that Hyundai loud. It's also big and heavy. Choose the smallest generator you need to power your stuff, you will only be using one high power item at a time, get a 2Kw kettle instead of a quick boil one. That's probably the highest draw along with a hair dryer. Tv's, fridge use next to nothing.

fred247

Visit site
I have an old 900w Honda and the Hyundai is far quieter, also as the eco switch which means only runs at full revs when under load, Honda flat out all the time.
did look at one of the Chinese- Honda knock offs seemed to be OK and very quiet.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
We just sold an IG2600 Kippor generator because it was so noisy!

I’ll be fitting a built in diesel gen set when I’ve saved up. Then the only petrol we’ll carry is for the outboard and with a proper enclosure and water separator exhaust, the diesel generators can be very quiet.

Seastoke

Visit site
Be careful they can cause problems for electronics , but if you do Honda engine , they are 10 times better than the Honda 2.3 outboard

Greg2

Visit site
We inherited a Honda suitcase genny with our Hardy and have been impressed with it. We plug it into the shore power socket and it powers the battery charger nicely. Only issue is that it is fine if the charger goes straight to charge on start up but if it goes to conditioning (it is a smart charger) the genny trips out. I guess the power draw much spike above it’s maximum output.

ST840

Visit site
We inherited a Honda suitcase genny with our Hardy and have been impressed with it. We plug it into the shore power socket and it powers the battery charger nicely. Only issue is that it is fine if the charger goes straight to charge on start up but if it goes to conditioning (it is a smart charger) the genny trips out. I guess the power draw much spike above it’s maximum output.
My batteries are permanently on a smart charger so are always nicely conditioned. I need the gene to power a coffee machine and tv whilst mid river with no 240v supply.

dunedin

Visit site
That doesn’t seem a very demanding power load. Have you fitted all LED lighting bulbs and some solar panels, as that would probably do the job and give silent power - without annoying everybody else in the anchorage.

ST840

Visit site
That doesn’t seem a very demanding power load. Have you fitted all LED lighting bulbs and some solar panels, as that would probably do the job and give silent power - without annoying everybody else in the anchorage.
That doesn't power a 240v TV or coffee machine though!