Pontoons on west side of Outer Hebrides

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Previously there was nothing out there, but now there is - a small facility on Great Bernera...

pontoons - Great Bernera

pontoon.jpg

It's a wild woolly swelly place on the outer side of the Outers, and few go there. It's a long way from help if you need it. The nearest all weather lifeboat is 3 hours away by sea in Stornoway. I'd hoped to get to Great Bernera this year but the weather didn't play ball. Next year maybe.

dunedin

Visit site
Interesting, is that in Kirkibost?

There has been a small pontoon at nearby Miavaig for a while- albeit mostly full of local boats, they found a space for me when there (like you, wasn’t this year due to weather).

Sea Change

Visit site
Previously there was nothing out there, but now there is - a small facility on Great Bernera...

pontoons - Great Bernera

pontoon.jpg

It's a wild woolly swelly place on the outer side of the Outers, and few go there. It's a long way from help if you need it. The nearest all weather lifeboat is 3 hours away by sea in Stornoway. I'd hoped to get to Great Bernera this year but the weather didn't play ball. Next year maybe.
If you're looking for a pontoon on the west side there's also Mariveg in Uig.

Edit- Dunedin beat me to it

NormanS

Visit site
Both the Loch Roags, where these facilities are, (East and West) provide excellent cruising anchorages, but as Angus pointed out, they're quite a long way from anywhere else. Access is either by Gallan Head or the Butt of Lewis, both can be challenging, but in favourable conditions, - pussy cats. For extreme adventurers, there's also Little Loch Roag, but it's not very attractive.