Pontoon-coloured scuff mark

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
For some inexplicable reason (well I know, but don't want to explain it), on Sunday we acquired a pontoon coloured mark on the topsides.

Haven't had time to remove it yet but am wondering what is the best thing to use, as it has become engrained in the scuff on the hull surface.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: chemicals opportunity

You need to apply, with care, increasingly more dangerous chemicals. But you also ned to try these on a bit of grp first. When i say "try these on a bit of grp first" what i actually mean is "ignore this bit, and slappit on anyway. But if you are the sort that does try a bit first, then a perhaps right up away at the anchor is usually ok.

Fairy is first, that won't work.
Mild acid is next. Ordinary rust remover in a spray, but don't spray it directly straight away, puttit on a cloth. This might well work quite fine. Rinse by deluge with hosepipe for quite while.
Acetone is perhaps next up after that. Definitely try a small area somewhere else first.
If these don't work you are into more mechanical means, firstly t-cut, then praps Cif which is fairly violent gear on shiny grp, or Rubbing compound another abrasive thing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Re: chemicals opportunity

I'd try polish first. Also, WD40 on a bit of kitchen paper is brilliant for removing scuffs.

<hr width=100% size=1>

gtmoore

Visit site
I get through loads of that stuff on my moulded non-slip (ha - yeah right!) decks and I'm always using it as it brings the boat up a treat. I bought it originally to get brown marks of my small GRP catamaran's hull and was pleased it worked just as well on my current boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>Gavin

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
You were right about the Wipe Out - thanks.

It did a great job of getting my scuff mark off. The only problem is that I now have a really clean and shiny patch, and need to do all the rest of the hull to bring it up to the same appearance !!

<hr width=100% size=1>