Pocket Gaffers

Plum

Visit site
There's a YouTube channel devoted to another Norfolk Gypsy based at Bradwell on the river Blackwater. Some interested video's in the series about how to reef at sea singlehanded, this one is a tour of the boat.

and the boat next to it is a Heard 23 (mine) and the length for berthing, bowsprit raised, is the same as the Gypsy.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Plum

Visit site
Pocket gaffers

I'm looking for a small gaff boat, most likely in GRP.
It needs to be not much longer than, say, 25ft overall including any bowsprit, transom hung rudder etc (marina fees). Waterline could be as short as 16ft.
I'm after a keel boat with inboard diesel (1GM10 etc), draft around 3ft, no more centreboards please.
I'd like a cutter rig. Cutter rigged boats often allow one to be able to retract the bowsprit without the mast falling down (marina fees again ) .
I'd like a topsail to give me some strings to play with.
Open, cuddy or tiny cabin, it depends. I'm not going to sleep on it or cook, so minimum accommodation is only required.
I am not going trailer sailing...ever.

So far the search has offered up the following. Heard Tosher and Oysterman 16 (which I understand can be quite lively) and possibly a Memory 19 (some of which I am told have inboards???).
It won't be new!

What else is there out there?
I am aware of a Tamarisk 24 that is about to come onto the market, GRP hull, retractable bowsprit, needs work on the accommodation and the owner is open to sensible offers below 10k. Some basic details here:- OGA - index
image0[80056].jpeg

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

C08

Visit site
Have you considered a Winkle Brig, a lovely little gaffer and well constructed by Eric Bergquist at the Fiddlers Ferry Boatyard. I used to overwinter there and was impressed with the build construction.

wombat88

Visit site
We had a Winkle brig many years ago, bought direct from Eric. Number 5. Lovely little thing, needed the topsail to make any significant headway into the wind.

It was slow but we loved it. Sailed on Rutland, Rudyard, Windemere but I don't think we ever felt happy with it in the Solent.

dunedin

Visit site
Heard 28 for sale, just listed… not sure if it’s a gaffer though. Might be worth a look.

Heard 28 - Red Ensign
Might have been worth spending a couple of hours cleaning the boat - or even 15 minutes round the waterline - before taking the photos. Just makes it look very neglected.
(I appreciate it may be difficult if the owner is incapacitated, but a decent broker should in that case pay somebody for a couple of hours work to prepare the boat for sale.)

FWB

N/A
Visit site
When I went to see Martin Heard in 2000 to order a 28 I described the layout which I wanted. He sent me to see Bonnie Lass. I said yes similar to that. 🙂
IMG_7767.jpegIMG_7766.jpeg

dancrane

Visit site
Slightly disturbing to find that once again, Wombat is looking for what I'd like myself, and is ahead of me in asking about it. ;)

My approach is a bit different, of course.

Why aren't there any gaff-rigged Corribees? Very pretty hull lines, but noticeably undercanvassed in light airs. I think there was a 'lake' version with a taller mast; but isn't it equally practical to give her a long, low rig with topsail for calm days?

53204312385_236b62e3f9_z.jpg

Sorry about the dark photo and optimistic sail-plan. It was just nice putting pencil to paper again after a long while.

I know, with bilge keels that only extend 26" below the waterline she must badly lack righting moment. But wouldn't it make a lovely low-maintenance inshore fair-weather harbour-hopper?

Wood isn't an option for me; I barely have enough time to own and sail a boat, let alone worry about rot and varnish.

wombat88

Visit site
I saw a Winkle Brig departing Chichester Marina yesterday, as always a lovely looking boat. I wonder how it would get along using electric power.