Plymouth to Gib! Now where?

Paddington1

Visit site
Hello.
We’ve just sailed our Hallberg-Rassy 34 from Gosport to Gibraltar on our way to the Med. We are tired. And having kept up quite a pace until now, are longing for a sleepy-little-fishing-village where we can rest for 5 days or so. Somewhere characterful, with a good beach nearby, and without loud music. One good cafe/taverna would suffice. Not sure if this sort of place actually exists within 150nm east of Gib; but however far, we’d love to hear anecdotes and advice. Many thanks!

Reactions: Obi

PlanB

Visit site
Duquesa, about 20 nm east of you. Smallish marina, and although it has plenty of bars and restaurants, was pleasant enough for me to liveaboard for 12 years.
Sandy beaches both sides of marina, several Spanish beach bars, and a small town about 20 mins walk away, small village 10 mins in opposite direction.
Bar noise in the port is usually regulated.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Hello.
We’ve just sailed our Hallberg-Rassy 34 from Gosport to Gibraltar on our way to the Med. We are tired. And having kept up quite a pace until now, are longing for a sleepy-little-fishing-village where we can rest for 5 days or so. Somewhere characterful, with a good beach nearby, and without loud music. One good cafe/taverna would suffice. Not sure if this sort of place actually exists within 150nm east of Gib; but however far, we’d love to hear anecdotes and advice. Many thanks!
The Bay of Polensa (NW Mallorca) is where I recharged batteries for a long summer (months) at anchor. I believe they now have free mooring balls in some spots. From Gib imho you need to leave the mainland asap unless a marina is beckoning. Navily (app) is amazing for anchorage and marina info.

Reactions: Obi

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Is Marina S'mir still empty? You could have a taverna to yourself and your own beach.

Smir is worth a visit and so is cheap taxi ride to Tetouan. Ceuta just across the Straits also well worth a visit. Both places far better than Spanish concrete jungle and all day breakfasts.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Can't wait to sail back to the Atlantic. Summer in Galicia and winter in the Algarve or Lisbon is heaven. Sailed north from Lisbon/Algarve to Galicia in Spring with a cruising chute - twice! Other two times used the motor. This time (when the Irish passport arrives) I will make sure to check out the Azores and Madeira (Porto Santo).