Plymouth temp mooring - Mountbatten or Cargreen

Ru88ell

Visit site
I'm thinking of sailing up to Plymouth in a couple of weeks time for a nose around, leaving the boat there for 10 days, then sailing back over the bank holiday weekend. I've found a couple of swinging mooring options, with about £60 difference for the period. How much of a trek is it up to Cargreen? Which would you opt for?

Martin_J

Visit site
How about looking just part of the way up the river towards Cargreen and try Torpoint marina. We just stayed for three nights on one of the swinging moorings belonging to Torpoint marina and enjoyed the area. Rib trips provided to and from the boat, nice local sailing club and easy access to both buses and the Torpoint ferries. In fact, if you take the bus from Plymouth town center back to the marina, you just stay on the bus for the ferry crossing. Nice and easy.

alancollins

Visit site
There is not much at Cargreen, just the Crooked Spaniard pub as I recall. It's a pleasant trip up-river in good weather, but for a stay of more than a day or so I would prefer to be farther downstream.

skip50

Visit site
There is not much at Cargreen, just the Crooked Spaniard pub as I recall. It's a pleasant trip up-river in good weather, but for a stay of more than a day or so I would prefer to be farther downstream.
Didn't the Spaniard close several years ago? I am sure it was closed last year but haven't been up there this year.

Ru88ell

Visit site
I didn't make it clear in the OP, but I'll be going away and leaving the boat alone, so not that bothered about the sights.

Appledore

Visit site
Hi Russell,

Not seen you since Fowey 2 years ago!!

Go to Cargreen, my own club. should be plenty of free moorings. It's 2 miles up from Saltash.

Contact John Davis our Moorings Officer:

Mooring Officer John Davis moorings@cycadmin.org
01579 350360

Nice and peaceful, and the pub never re-opened. No facilities now in the village.

Oh, and we have a Boatwatch overnight too.

Geoff

Last edited:

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
How about looking just part of the way up the river towards Cargreen and try Torpoint marina. We just stayed for three nights on one of the swinging moorings belonging to Torpoint marina and enjoyed the area. Rib trips provided to and from the boat, nice local sailing club and easy access to both buses and the Torpoint ferries. In fact, if you take the bus from Plymouth town center back to the marina, you just stay on the bus for the ferry crossing. Nice and easy.

Where did they offer you a mooring? We managed to negotiate a berth in the ballast pound but I noticed that some of thier moorings were upstream of the ferries.

Ru88ell

Visit site
I heard that my boat went awol from the Cargreen mooring yesterday evening. The mooring strop broke. She's been retrieved from the mud upstream and now sits on a Weir Quay mooring. No reports of any damage so far, and she remained upright. What fun!

jakeroyd

Visit site
Down in Plymouth this week Russel.
Don't know if you are.
If you are at home and want me to check anything etc. PM me.

adwuk

Visit site
Likewise - will be in Cargreen this weekend. Where in Weir Quay did your boat end up? There are quite a few moorings around there, so you were lucky she didn't hit anything else on her way through.

sarabande

Visit site
that's sort of worrying. I thought that Cargreen, like the other Tamar clubs, had fairly specific standards for moorings and lines.

Any idea what happened please ?

It's good to hear that your boat has been recovered and is OK.

Appledore

Visit site
that's sort of worrying. I thought that Cargreen, like the other Tamar clubs, had fairly specific standards for moorings and lines.

Any idea what happened please ?

We do, and one of them is that we are advised to use double mooring strops in case one breaks. The river here can run very fast at high springs especially in mid-stream.

It's good to hear that your boat has been recovered and is OK.

adwuk

Visit site

Cargreen YC dont normally provide strops. I had some made up at the start of the year, although I was offered some on loan if needed.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Cargreen YC don't normally provide strops.

I believe ALL the clubs with moorings-for-members 'don't normally provide strops', although they all use moorings maintenance contractors of varying drgrees of conscientiousness. It'll be a 'legal liability' thing.

And, as I recall, all Plym clubs make mooring strop recommendations to their members, and Cargreen suggest two x 20mm minimum nylon boat ropes. Their moorings guidance is here http://www.cargreenyc.org/Sailing/MOORINGS%20_AT_CARGREEN_June_2016.pdf and is well worth a read. I'm confident that those who visit and use facilities at Cargreen, Tamar, Saltash and Torpoint receive 'words of guidance' on moorings. I'm also aware, from observation, that some summer visitors 'wing it' to avoid spending a few quid.

'Chafe' is - of course - the usual culprit, with inadequate foredeck fittings a close second. Few of those used only to sheltered marina life experience and/or can envisage the continuous and heavy shock loading imparted into a yacht's mooring by a weekend of storm and a several-mile fetch.

Ru88ell

Visit site
I'm going down to Weir Quay tomorrow to see what's happened. The owner of the yard once had a Cornish Yawl, and he's sure she's fine; he'd sort of know if bits were missing. He says the mooring strop chafed through.