please help

Dave95979

Visit site
i have to buy some sails for my yacht i know the size (sort of ) but i have a few questions if i may

1. i have no idea what fittings i will need for the main

it seems to be similar to the sails i had on my javelin dinghie where the rope part fits up inside the grove and the same along the boom but i was wondering about the gap in the grove on the mast
do i need slugs or cars ?

2. i have a plastimo 608s furling i was wondering what type of fitting this has

it looks like the same gap but with a plastic inner sleeve

any advice is very welcome

thank-you

dave

srm

Visit site
Hi Dave.

Does the mast have a makers name on it? If so they may be able to help, if they still exist.

Plasimo roller gear will use a luff tape sliding in the groove - just tell the sailmaker the make and model of your gear.

Incidentally, regarding measurements, you need to be as exact as possible. The sail will be made to stretch to your measurements. If it does not fit you may have to pay for alterations. While it's possible to live with a slightly undersize sail one thats even slightly too big is likely to be unusable.

Tranona

Visit site
Download a sail measurement guide from Kemps Sails so that you can measure what sizes your boat needs. Buying used sails is always a bit of a gamble as there are so many variations and you need to know what you are looking for. If you are buying new sails your sailmaker will make them to suit your mast, boom and furler.

tidclacy

Visit site
Dave depending on what type of boat you have sail makers will probably have made sails before for that model. Some will visit your boat to make sure of the right size.

What make is she and where do you keep her? What is your budget?

The type of sails you can get is enormous, quality, cloth, laminate etc.

Topcat47

Visit site
Phone Stuart at Seateach (Emsworth). He has an excellent budget range of cruising sails and will be able to advise you. You know you have Plastimo reefing, and you'll need to tell him the make and model of the boat.

A1Sailor

Visit site
Edit: All I see in your image is a black hole in the mast, but on looking again is there a fitment in it? If so, ignore the following:

Is there a bit missing from your mast? My Sadler 25 Kemp mast has a similar oblong "cutout" a couple of feet above the gooseneck. However, it has one of the "feeders" shown here:
http://www.getrigged.co.uk/sail-entry-gates-104-c.asp
The mainsail has sliders, and you simply insert them via the feeder, and they are then "trapped" in the groove until you want to remove them. Difficult to explain, but easy in practice. Here's another image copied from the Selden website.
mast.jpg

Last edited:

Dave95979

Visit site
Umm I think I need to get my finances sorted then invite and pay someone look at it advise and possibly make me some sails

My intentions for this yacht have changed I will sort her out and sell her as I have just bought another one a vivacity 20

Thank you for all the advice

PetiteFleur

Visit site
"My intentions for this yacht have changed I will sort her out and sell her as I have just bought another one a vivacity 20"
Vivacity 20 - very good choice, My first boat many years ago - went all over the Thames Estuary in it and learnt a lot (before GPS) and even across to Calais.
Happy sailing!
Thank you for all the advice[/QUOTE]