Please Help Identify

cjkilgour

Visit site
Hello,
I was hoping to find some help online to identify my grandfathers (Peter Humphreys, Peterborough) yacht.

As far as I am aware the plans were a winner of a (Yachting World) competition.

Known Information:

Name: Fiona
Type: Aux. Bermudan Sloop, modified Y.W. 'Peoples Boat'
Length: 23 feet
Draught: 3 feet, 3 inches
Built at: Jacksons Yard, Peterborough
Launch: July 1956

RYA Registered Sail Number: 128Y

She was sailed around the south coast and Thames estuary and sold in 1975 to a Mr J.P Mills of Teddington

99eb0a08-58b7-4634-afcb-6aef4e4652cb_zpsnmbro2dm.jpg~c100

image2_zpsrajah6bw.jpg~c100

d45bfa96-ec9e-49fc-b306-16a7f7243efa_zpsvxtwqifd.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

What do you want to know about it? It was one of many home build designs sponsored by the yachting press in the late 1940's/50's. like many others it was hard chine for building in ply. Most would have been home built, but not sure many were actually completed, and even fewer survive as 60 years takes its toll on plywood construction.

You can order a copy of the original brochure from www.yachtbrochures.co.uk/wood/htm and you may be able to get a reprint of the original design from Yachting World.

cjkilgour

Visit site
Thankyou very much for your response!

I was really just searching for a designer or specific brand name to help facilitate locating the boat if possible.

Actually this boat was built from African mahogany and English Oak and was seen sailing 10years ago so is hopefully still on the go.

I will check out that link, thanks!

Tranona

Visit site
The designer had a Scandinavian name which I might be able to remember if I get a trigger. You will almost certainly find it on the brochure if you manage to get a copy.

From memory the construction details could vary as they often did with boats designed for home building. conventional carvel planking could be used as well as plywood with similar framing in mahogany. Oak was commonly used for keels and hogs.