Play in the hinge of CQR anchor - is it normal?

noelex

Visit site
That doesn't look like a genuine CQR.

As I comment on anchor performance I always do my best to identify the copies from the genuine models. Even underwater, I take a lot of time to look closely at the sometimes subtle indications that an anchor might not be genuine.

So I am always interested to hear if someone feels an anchor is a fake. It would be great, Agurney, if you could take the time to indicate which characteristics make you believe this anchor is not genuine. The anchor was in very poor condition, but it did have the correct raised lettering on the shank see photo:

Ys9B3NN.jpg

guernseyman

Visit site
As I hinted in a previous posting, I suspected that the play in the hinge is a design feature.
Looking at the text of the US patent, the suspicion is confirmed:

"The holes 25 for the
pivot pin are larger in diameter than that of the
pin itself - for example, the pin may be 7/8" and
he holes 1" in diameter-so as to provide substantial
lateral play at the joint. Gaps 27 are
left between the forked arms 24 and the extremity
22 of the fixed portion of the shank so as to
allow also of substantial play at the joint in
the lengthwise direction of the pivot pin. It is
found that by providing in this way for considerable
play at the pivot, the risk of the hinge being
rendered inoperative or of being choked with
sand or pebbles is avoided or at least minimized. "

Neeves

Visit site
As I hinted in a previous posting, I suspected that the play in the hinge is a design feature.
Looking at the text of the US patent, the suspicion is confirmed:

"The holes 25 for the
pivot pin are larger in diameter than that of the
pin itself - for example, the pin may be 7/8" and
he holes 1" in diameter-so as to provide substantial
lateral play at the joint. Gaps 27 are
left between the forked arms 24 and the extremity
22 of the fixed portion of the shank so as to
allow also of substantial play at the joint in
the lengthwise direction of the pivot pin. It is
found that by providing in this way for considerable
play at the pivot, the risk of the hinge being
rendered inoperative or of being choked with
sand or pebbles is avoided or at least minimized. "

Well researched!

And it seems to work as I have never heard of one locked solid.

sheyes

Visit site
I understood it to be a CQR, genuine.

Go to your nearest chandler, measure the distance from the toe to the shackle point with the shank lifted for an identical anchor, not another clone, not a genuine model. Try to make the same measurement on a number of identical models, so that you can define variation in new ones. Then go and measure you own. My thoughts are that if you anchor is not particularly old and not used every day - there will be little wear. But once you have measured - post the answers here.

If you are happy with its current performance - keep it. But as Noelex has suggested a Kobra is the cheapest good alternative (but it has a weak shank - that's one reason its cheap).

Jonathan

The anchor came with the boat and I have always assumed that it is a genuine CQR, it has functioned very well over the ten years or so that I have had the boat (1986 Sadler 34). What would a genuine CQR have stamped on it. (something obvious like CQR???)
Apologies for misleading with my naivety
Steve

sheyes

Visit site
The anchor came with the boat and I have always assumed that it is a genuine CQR, it has functioned very well over the ten years or so that I have had the boat (1986 Sadler 34). What would a genuine CQR have stamped on it. (something obvious like CQR???)
Apologies for misleading with my naivety
Steve

I've just checked on the Force 4 advert link on the first page of this discussion and it does indeed read 25LB CQR PATENTED No ....
Thanks everybody for your input, I've learned a thing or two. I doubt that I will find a new version of my CQR type anchor to measure against so in the medium term I'm going to look at how I might fit a Delta onto my bow roller
Steve

agurney

agurney.com
As I comment on anchor performance I always do my best to identify the copies from the genuine models. Even underwater, I take a lot of time to look closely at the sometimes subtle indications that an anchor might not be genuine.

So I am always interested to hear if someone feels an anchor is a fake. It would be great, Agurney, if you could take the time to indicate which characteristics make you believe this anchor is not genuine. The anchor was in very poor condition, but it did have the correct raised lettering on the shank see photo:

On a genuine CQR, the flukes are connected by a rod, not a bar:

cqr.png

Neeves

Visit site
Mine says

'20lb CQR Patent No XYZ'. I have 2 clones.

The 'wording' is embossed into the shank in the recess of the H of the beam. The shank is an 'H' section, to give it strength (no HT steel then), and the wording is 'in' the horizontal of one side of the 'H'. The brace for the flukes is a round rod, I assume welded onto the underside of the flukes.

Jonathan

SBarnett

Visit site
Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for all the good info in the past.

My 25 year old 75 lb genuine CQR has a hinge hole 15mm wider than the pin side to side, and 25mm bigger front to rear. That leaves only 3-4 mm of metal at the fluke end of the shaft. I call that unsafe and should have taken action sooner, My bad.

Has anyone tried making a warranty claim for a broken or unfit for service hinge?

I have an email in to Lewmar but have not heard back yet. I am hoping they don't use the "Damage by deformation " clause to deny my claim.

Please reply on the warranty issue, not generic CQR performance.

Steve

Attachments

• cqr75h.jpg
    cqr75h.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 25

sarabande

Visit site
After 25 years' hard work and use from that anchor , I suspect you have no chance of a warranty replacement. The anchor is showing signs of severe rust, which is out of Lewmar's control.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have a theory that wear on the pivot increases immensely when the CQR is carried in the bow roller, because the head moves slightly relative to the shank with every wave.

I have on board a 60lbs genuine CQR that came with the boat and was always stowed below, the flukes are well rusted and it’s led a hard life, but there is no more play on the pivot than there is on the “brand new” (well, 15 years old, but never used) one that I just bought.

Edited to add:

Just found the pictures:

60lbs CQR from 1975:

BA0F3FF2-DE71-469E-B231-DB30F29979D5.jpeg

75lbs CQR from 2005, unused:

9C44AB2D-C71D-45B6-BCD0-C8EE88B79C0E.jpeg

Last edited: