Play in steering wheel

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
We have some play in our steering wheel. I have replaced the part marked 17 below. This is made a slight improvement but it hasn't totally fixed the issue. Has anybody got any ideas what I could do to totally fix the problem (boat has DPE drives)?

Thanks đź‘Ť

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241010_201949_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241010_201949_Chrome.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 27

DAKA

Visit site
For clarification, the play is when turning the wheel.
Mine started doing that a few years ago , part 15 the key had been substituted for the shank of an Allen key.

I machined a new part 15 , tightened the steering wheel nut and the problem was solved.

I would start with tightening the steering wheel nut and then checking the key ( 15) and slot the keyway , if the key way has worn it will be easy enough to machine a new thicker key (15)

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Mine started doing that a few years ago , part 15 the key had been substituted for the shank of an Allen key.

I machined a new part 15 , tightened the steering wheel nut and the problem was solved.

I would start with tightening the steering wheel nut and then checking the key ( 15) and slot the keyway , if the key way has worn it will be easy enough to machine a new thicker key (15)
Thanks. Was is rotational play in the wheel?

ylop

Visit site
We have some play in our steering wheel. I have replaced the part marked 17 below. This is made a slight improvement but it hasn't totally fixed the issue. Has anybody got any ideas what I could do to totally fix the problem (boat has DPE drives)?

Thanks đź‘Ť
Did you replace 19 too? It looks like cable steering IME if the helm unit needs changed the cables are usually worn too.

DAKA

Visit site
Thanks. Was is rotational play in the wheel?
Yes, you could steer port or starboard and nothing happened for the first bit.

The most likely explanation is the nut needs to be tightened but the wheel has to come off to check nothing is stopping it seat all the way home. It’s a tapper if I recall correctly so it might just need a tweak up.

If that doesn’t work then the keyway might be worn or damaged.
If it has play in it then a new key will at best solve half of it hence machining a new key to your requirements may work best.

I did mine with a hacksaw and bench grinder from a stainless steel kitchen utensil, you don’t need precision engineering qualifications .

trapper guy

Visit site
isnt there play in every wheel as standard?
i used a wheel on my competent crew course vessel, felt like captain pugwash doing a constant left-right to counteract the drift.
hence i chose a tillered boat

Grubble

Visit site
i used a wheel on my competent crew course vessel, felt like captain pugwash doing a constant left-right to counteract the drift.
hence i chose a tillered boat
Boats with a single outdrive (or outboard) tend to wander left and right at low speed due to not having a rudder, which leads to the inexperienced sawing left and right on the steering wheel. This isn't due to any play in the wheel, just the physics of how the engine's thrust is delivered. Your tillered boat no doubt has a rudder, which is the key to going in a straight line at displacement (aka boring) speed. Once on the plane the outdrive boat should go in a straight line with no, or little, play in the wheel.