Play d'eau - my heart still aches....

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Although it's been 2½ years since I sold our Fleming 55, Play d'eau, my heart still aches.

New in 2003, we cruised thousands of miles, cherished her, lived on her, maintained her, upgraded her and added many toys, We know every fraction of an inch of her. But with Brexit and Covid, we made the head decision to sell her.

And now I see she's up for sale again. Ouch....

Oscar24

Visit site
Saw Play d'eau earlier this year having a load of work done to her @ MDL marina in Holes Bay Poole.
She was very tidy (y)

Bouba

Visit site
If you sold her at the peak of post covid prices....you should be able to re buy her, including all upgrades from the new owner, and still be in profit.
This could be the very first time since the Vikings that buying a boat made commercial sense....you owe it to posterity

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
And now I see she's up for sale again. Ouch....
Here's a thought: buy her, bring her to the Med on her own bottom, and leave her here - wherever you like - as your Med home.
I heard many folks regretting to have done this or that with boats, but never, ever, anyone who did what I'm envisaging.
Happy to help with suggestions, and I'm sure many others would as well.

Reactions: jfm

Dino

Visit site
There’s an immaculate 55 tied beside the marina office in Palma. Seems like a nice place to retire.

jfm

Visit site
Go on, buy her back Piers. Makes perfect sense.
I've spent some time on one recently, in the same berth in Jersey where we had a beer on PD a few years ago, called m/y Voyager. It was the Southampton show boat in 2022 (iirc) - owner is long standing friend. It has just done UK to Palma on own bottom, without missing a beat.
Life is short - re-acquire her :) See you in the Med in August then :)

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Thank you so much for all your encouraging replies.

In the 2½ years since we sold her, she's clocked 64 engine hours, mainly in delivery trips from Fleming Europe (Swanwick); to Beaucette; to Bucklers Hard; to St Kats. I'm unaware of any upgrades in that time so she's really as I originally sold her.

Will we buy her back? Sadly, no, not the least that she's up at such a super high figure.

However, for whoever buys her, I'm happy to advise on her operational and nav systems. I have everything, including her maintenance history and Check Lists & Ops Manual, stored on my laptop.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
She’s certainly a beautiful go anywhere vessel...obviously you miss her...if it were me I would be grieving. Could you contemplate going back on the water in a boat that isn’t as grand ?

We've thought long and hard about just that, but the answer is no. It (obviously) just wouldn't be the same, and wouldn't feel right.

Bouba

Visit site
I used to enjoy reading your adventures in the magazine (written by Mrs Piers, I recall)