Plastimo roller furling.

DownWest

Visit site
After Stemar's thread about trying to fix his furler and deciding to convince the boss that a new one was the better solution..
Today I was looking at the Trapper's furler, prior to stepping the mast. The top swivel was very stiff, while the bottom drum was locked solid.
Having heard that the bearings were plastic and without grease, I thought that pulling them to bits and a little clean would do it.
Well, how wrong can you be... I undid the top swivel cover with a filter chain wrench. There are two steel ball races in there and both were solid and heavily greased. Undid the four bolts holding the bottom drum together and found the same.
Spent two hours cleaning and finally freeing the races, first with thinners and releasing fluid, then holding the outer race in the vice, gripping the inner race with mole grips and tapping them to get some movement. After a bit of this, they started moving and finally turned easily. More cleaning then reasembled the units with water proof grease and she is ready to go tomorrow.

Time being short, this was the only way, if I could free them. But I looked on line and found the drum bearings at €13 each and the top swivel at €9 each, so way cheaper than a new system. I think this is a 609.

We should have looked earlier, as the boat has been sitting for eleven years? But other things got in the light. Basicly, one needs to check everything. Now we have a bad continuity on the engine harness to the cockpit panel.... What fun.. But we can start the engine by shorting the starter contacts, so will be moving tomorrow.

If anybody wants to know the bearing sizes for the furler, just ask. I will be ordering a set for next winter's lay up.
DW

BTW, this is not my boat, just got involved helping out a friend. Did not realise how long it had been parked, thought it was more like 7yrs. Bad enough.

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
I think mine must be a little later than yours, as I have delrin or whatever bearings in the top swivel and steel in the drum. I couldn't free the seized bearing and other bits were, if not on their last legs, definitely well past their best, so the bullet has been bitten and I'll be picking up a new 609 tomorrow.

All I need now is a dry day to fit it :ambivalence:

jpd85

Visit site
Had a similar issue this year too. Top set were solid but all freed up and working well now.
I was expecting plastic too and was surprised to see steel when we eventually opened the stuck top swivel cover.
Could you post the source for the bearings? Might be a winter maintenance job.

DownWest

Visit site
Had a similar issue this year too. Top set were solid but all freed up and working well now.
I was expecting plastic too and was surprised to see steel when we eventually opened the stuck top swivel cover.
Could you post the source for the bearings? Might be a winter maintenance job.

It is an on line French outfit called 123roulements.com You just dial in your dimensions and it gives you availability and price. Both the sizes were in stock.
But if you are in UK, I imagine there are plenty of places.

Sizes for the 609 unit are 85 x 65 x 10 mm for the drum and 58 x 45 x 7 mm for the top swivel. ( OD, ID & thickness) Prices varied from €65 (!) for SKF down to €13 for some other brand, but they ain't exactly wizzing round.
DW

philwebb

Visit site
You might want to consider SEALED bearings. I had the same problem as you some time ago with my Plastimo furler, however it's been OK ever since I fitted a sealed bearing to the bottom part.

DownWest

Visit site
You might want to consider SEALED bearings. I had the same problem as you some time ago with my Plastimo furler, however it's been OK ever since I fitted a sealed bearing to the bottom part.

Yes, the prices were for sealed ones, but I would still put some lithium grease around the outside under the rubber O rings.