Planning

Andchar

Visit site
Hello, I’m in the process of planning a full time escape in a couple of years. I wondered if anyone has a suitable spreadsheet for modeling long-term costs?

Stingo

Visit site
.... continued

Will you live at anchor or in marinas, how often will you need to fly home, what will your visa requirements be, who will do your boat maintenance (yourself or will you employ locals)....

I could go on, but the above should give you a start on what costs will be involved.

Andchar

Visit site
Oh sure, I appreciate that. I just need a starting point at this stage to add a little discipline to the thought process and allow a little bit of fag packet sensitivity analysis.

Perhaps a clean (spread)sheet of paper is the best way.

Boathook

Visit site
Oh sure, I appreciate that. I just need a starting point at this stage to add a little discipline to the thought process and allow a little bit of fag packet sensitivity analysis.

@Stingo Has given a good list for a start. Replacement parts can be expensive and if the boat is old they will require replacing at some point. Maintence and spares for boats seems to increase exponentially by size or is it by square ?

Sea Change

Visit site
Everybody has their own way of operating.
The only thing that is remotely 'standard' is the service/repair parts. Even somebody on a shoestring budget probably changes their oil and anodes 😂.
So you can reasonably budget for sails, rigging, batteries, dinghy, engine maintenance/replacement, all of which have a lifespan measured in years, miles, or running hours.

Wansworth

Visit site
His

eric Hiscock in one of his tomes lists food for two on ocean passage