Places to visit in the Northern Ionian?

TRUNDLETRUC

Visit site
In August, when the family have been dropped off at Corfu, we will have 4 weeks to ourselves. We have explored all the Ionian islands over the last 5 years, including Erikoussa, Othoni and Mathraki.
Therefore my question is - As we will be in the northern Ionian where could we visit?
Albania is next door but you hear bad reports of difficult and expensive paperwork? Has anyone any recent first hand experience? What is it really like?
Another thought is to go across to Italy for a few days. We don't hear much about the east coast of Italy on this forum, I am wondering why? Is it expense? Will it cost us more than going thorough the Corinth canal two ways (160 euros one way, 2 years ago)? Is there a yearly tax which would be overwhelming for just a few days? Can you anchor or is it all marinas?
I don't think we have enough time to make a worthwhile trip to Montenegro or Croatia.
Our sailing yacht is 11.4metres and we would like some suggestions. Which way shall we head, what interesting places can we visit?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
In August, when the family have been dropped off at Corfu, we will have 4 weeks to ourselves. We have explored all the Ionian islands over the last 5 years, including Erikoussa, Othoni and Mathraki.
Therefore my question is - As we will be in the northern Ionian where could we visit?
Albania is next door but you hear bad reports of difficult and expensive paperwork? Has anyone any recent first hand experience? What is it really like?
Another thought is to go across to Italy for a few days. We don't hear much about the east coast of Italy on this forum, I am wondering why? Is it expense? Will it cost us more than going thorough the Corinth canal two ways (160 euros one way, 2 years ago)? Is there a yearly tax which would be overwhelming for just a few days? Can you anchor or is it all marinas?
I don't think we have enough time to make a worthwhile trip to Montenegro or Croatia.
Our sailing yacht is 11.4metres and we would like some suggestions. Which way shall we head, what interesting places can we visit?

I have a guide that includes that lower East side of Italy but there's not a lot there for leisure sailors I understand. Limited anchoring and mainly commercial ports.

From Corfu you are only two nights sail from Dubrovnik so you have plenty of time for Croatia if you limit yourself to the Dalmatian coast south of Split which is where the best stuff is anyway. Budget 100 Euro for permits etc when you arrive but after that you can anchor for free every night. Do a search for Croatia for lots of suggestions and checkout Vic's blog http://bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com/ and JimB's http://www.jimbsail.info// , both on this forum, amongst others.

Richard

Tranona

Visit site
Agree with the above. southern tip of Italy does not have much to offer, but Sicily does, particularly south coast. Don't think there are any difficulties with Albania, but my information is a few years out of date, but unlikely to have changed. However there is not much to see - unless you like solitude in the remote anchorages! Good experience to take a tripper boat from Corfu to Sarande to see the archeological sites at Butrint.

Plenty of time in 4 weeks to go north to Montenegro and Croatia, but you could easily spend a lazy 4 weeks visiting some of the lesser known spots in the Ionian itself. presumably you have a Heikell which will give some ideas about moving off the beaten track. Don't ignore a bit of land based tourism on Corfu - well worth hiring a car for a couple of days or more again to go off the beaten track.

RobbieW

Visit site
2 or 3 of the folk we overwintered with in Licata have been through Albania already this year and not reported any difficulty - the Facebook pics make it look worth the visit. Those people dont post here so I'll try to find out where they entered, costs and which agent used if you like

Hardmy

Visit site
There is a lot to do in and around Corfu, whether there is enough for 4 weeks you must decide :), what I have seen the past weeks:

We have explored all the Ionian islands over the last 5 years, including Erikoussa, Othoni and Mathraki.
In Mathraki this year, the inner basin is so much filled with algaes, that when there is no wind, the harbor is enveloped in a pestilential smell:
DSC_0466_zpspnhh46xv.jpg

There are absolutely no difficulties getting into Albania. People are very very friendly and keen to welcome tourists and not are not jaded seeing them (because there are not that many). Eating out is good and very cheap. There is in Saranda an excellent market where we stocked up with tasty local produce. It was a pleasant experience!
The agent’s details are as follows:
Agim Zholi / agimzholi---a-t---yahoo.com
Office phone & fax +35585225075 / Mobile phone +355692566576
He’s a very nice chap and happy to help you with anything related to your stay in Albania. Expect to pay around €50, the next nights are for free (or 4€ a night I think). He will take over all paperwork and you have nothing to do. To be honest, everything is smoother and more efficient than in Greece.

Approach of Saranda is straightforward, the town as such is not a pleasure for the eye. It looks more like HLMs at the sea:
IMG_3089_zpswgfime0g.jpg

Berthing alongside or with anchor stern-to the quay wall. It’s a commercial harbor, so neighbours are likely to be ferries or tripper boats, but they do not stay overnight. I cannot vouch about the protection when a southerly is blowing:
IMG_3090_zps2pduu9lb.jpg

You can also visit the Butrint Roman remains, a UNESCO site. Navigating the river is a bit tricky, only to be attempted in perfect conditions. Here the entrance (note both poles left and right):
IMG_9399_DxO_zpsqpffl22s.jpg

A closer view of the stb pole (when entering the river mouth). The pic shows it when we were leaving the river:
IMG_9397_DxO_zpscfoylkga.jpg

After having passed the two poles, you will find on your right a derelict castle (Ali Pasha’s?) and the former customs house on the left, always navigate in the middle of the river (pic shows us leaving):
IMG_9391_DxO_zpsfefgogz0.jpg

We anchored near the site entrance. There is very good holding in mud. We had a short but strong storm, even with moderate scope we didn’t move. Actually, we even had some problems to dig the anchor out! Sailyachts should anchor before the electricity line (the pole on the shore of the river on the right of the picture). The pic was shot from the top of the castle:
DSC_0283_zps7okeo7ru.jpg

Butrint itself is worth the visit:
DSC_0182_zpsgdvz01x5.jpg

DSC_0232_zpsbgdb0ac3.jpg

If it helps, here is our trace: http://webapp.navionics.com/maps/#s...407007351/1434407007351.kml@12&key=qtpqFegbyB

The entrance is really the trickiest part, otherwise you will be fine if you steer in the middle of the river. At the river mouth, the left trace shows the best track, where you will always find 2.50m. The right trace shows us exiting the mouth, and we had then only 2.0m of water.

We spent also a night a Ksamil islands. Very busy during the day. I will try to post some pics.

Last edited:

Max K

N/A
Visit site
Have you cruised the gulfs of Patras& Corinth? We use it quite a lot and it is free of flotillas and charter boats.

Mesolonghi is fascinating and has good facilities. Navpaktos, quaint. Trizonia, like a Pirate's refuge. Galaxhidi, beautiful and ideal to visit Delphi. Andikirron, totally missable -too windy. Kiato good shelter. Corinth - harbour cramped but cheap bus ride to ancient Corinth. Those are the main attractions but there are more. Easily doable in four weeks from Corfu, which is where we are heading now, stopping off at Mourtos.

Max.

Last edited:

TRUNDLETRUC

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We were hoping to increase our cruising area although we are firmly hooked on the Preveza area for storing the boat. I think a "dash" to Croatia however inviting may be out as my wife and I are not used to doing long overnight passages. Perhaps next year we will have more time? Albania looks interesting (nice photos Hardmy) and a trial trip over to Sarande might be a possibility?
We have in fact visited most places west of Athens including the gulfs and travelling round the Peloponnese. Evia would be a possibility but for 4 weeks only, doesn't really justify the expense of the canal.
Still a little interested in the SE coast of Italy has anyone first hand experience?
Thanks for all your help. We still have a few weeks to decide - better make sure I have the necessary flags and paperwork.