Places to live

G

Re: Antibes

Good food, miles better engineering help than UK on hand, English spoken all around if you want, pleasant weather but not over 35degrees, good local and long-distance cruising ground, accessible by air or road, hardly any sharks, pleasant water temperature, lots of non-boaty stuff to do, industry concentration upon pleasure boating rather than FV's or military, fairly safe in that "what you see is what you get" depth-wise. Not enuf wind for sailboats tho.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Byron, I don't live here to make people jealous:)
I couldn't live in the UK even if the social life is infinitely better than here, which it probably is. The weather would drive me nuts.

G

Re: Antibes

Nowhere near as spensive as eveeryone thinks. Sure, there some beach bars in high summer where they only sell champagne from 100 quid a bottle, but you have to really try to find them.

But, frexample, houses are cheap slong as they aren't right on the coast. Food much cheaper than UK, much nicer than US. Out of season in St Tropez, we paid 14quid a night for a 50footer. Zero duty on wine, easish with minimal lingo. Only prob (anywher in the W med) is getting a short-term berth. Best is to buy, and they are good investments ...which means they ain't cheap. 85k for a twenty year 50footer in antibes should do it - up from 40k five years ago.

Anthrax-free and some nice large arab-owned boats nearby as insurance against loonies in planes...