Pics en route to Chatham

Elessar

Visit site
You've probably all seen the Duck that's not Chuccka

But what's this?

And 2 pics of my daughter trying to gain the attention of a man in uniform as she speeds past the houses of parliament.

Every time I go through central London the men who drive the trip boats complain about speed. They create more wash than me and they are prats! (We always lookout for people at the waterside and/or getting into small boats and slow down accordingly)

pheran

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They create more wash than me and they are prats!

[/ QUOTE ] Fair point. And that 'DUWK' doesn't look safe at the best of times let alone in the wash from a couple of trip boats. I slowed right down on one occasion and the driver was profuse in his gratitude. On the same theme, I wouldn't have someone on the foredeck of a smallish boat going through that part of London, especially someone without a life-jacket. I saw one tipped over the side by wash a few years back. Luckily the LJ inflated and she was quickly recovered.

Elessar

Visit site
She's a grown up so it's her choice not mine......

Don't you know it's spoils tan lines?

(it's a sensible observation, but people on leisure boats wearing lifejackets in fair weather are in the minority, and long may it remain a free choice)

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Found this !!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice Pics nice trip me being grounded am envious

DSCF4762.jpg

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

(it's a sensible observation, but people on leisure boats wearing lifejackets in fair weather are in the minority, and long may it remain a free choice)

[/ QUOTE ]
Not on the tideway it isn't, that bit of water from Lambeth down can be treacherous and very bumpy, I wouldn't fancy anyone's chances if they were to fall in there.
As a skipper I insist lifejackets are worn when we leave Richmond or Teddington.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Quote...............................................

Every time I go through central London the men who drive the trip boats complain about speed. They create more wash than me and they are prats! (We always lookout for people at the waterside and/or getting into small boats and slow down accordingly)

Quote................................................................

Yep the pleasure cruisers are an arrogant lot

Miniskip and his chum went on one to hampton court this sat and when the skipper was asked politley by some canoes to slow he gave them a load of abuse

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Miniskip and his chum went on one to hampton court this sat and when the skipper was asked politley by some canoes to slow he gave them a load of abuse

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't win with canoes, most ask you to create wash so they can surf it. Then you have the minority who bitch about wash.

Elessar

Visit site
That's your choice, which if I were on your boat I'd respect without a problem. I don't insist on my boat, but I always strongly recommend and hand them a lifejacket if it gets rough (and I've never seen it rough until well past Tilbury) or if they are not strong swimmers (I always ask how well they swim if I don't know) or if it's dark below approx Putney depending on the stream.

I disagree that lifejacket wearers are in the majority, but it matters not, as I say, long may it remain free choice.

Elessar

Visit site
That was a fun evening after work a few weeks back - I was hanging on the foredeck taking the pic and I'm sorry Brayman without a lifejacket!

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
It can get really bouncy in The Pool and between Tower Bridge and West India Entrance as the trip boats, commuter boats and, dare I say it, PLA and river police boats all make wash that bounces off the banks and makes for a lot of slop.

Elessar

Visit site
Having lunch at the Narrow, which is the Ramsay gastro pub on your port side as you go into Limehouse, we were amused by the trip ribs which were deliberately and with some success trying to soak the pub goers by doing sharp power turns about 6 ft from the wall. That was adding to the general slop and I agree it gets bouncy.