Photos: South Georgia Island, [yet more] pics...

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
Regulars will remember our photos from Antarctica, Patagonia, and the Falklands from a little while ago.

It’s been promised for a while, and it’s finally here: Peter’s expedition out into the deep South Atlantic, to remote and inhospitable South Georgia.

This is the most extensive write-up and collection of photos that we’ve put online to date. There are over 100 photos spread across nine pages, so put some time aside and enjoy. Online now, follow the link:

www.petersmith.net.nz/photos/south-georgia-1.php

south-georgia-larsen.jpg

Peter and Kiwi Roa were at South Georgia for ten weeks, exploring a world of seafaring history, ruined industry, and of course largely untouched nature and wildlife. Seals, penguins, albatrosses... The island is deep within the Antarctic Convergence and at the limit of attainable expedition cruising. Peter even managed to do a little damage to the boat on both passages. Enjoy the story and photos!

paul.norton

Visit site
Very very good.

As an aside, whatever happened to the Argy submarine which was disabled and beached at, I think, Grytviken?

Paul

ffiill

Visit site
Great photos-always wanted to go there- but did anyone notice in the last pic at Port Stanley-a little Westerly -surely not a Centaur?- moored alongside.
How did that get to the Falklands?

Seajet

Visit site
She was refloated and judged to be too expensive to repair (and therefore worthless as a prize).
Then she was towed to deep water and scuttled.

The sub Santa Fe was an ex-American Guppy class, very old even in 1982; I suppose they didn't want some chancer tarting her up 'Assault on a Queen' style and trying terrorism or drug running...there was also the sad history with an Argentine sailor being shot and killed after her surrender when it was mistakenly thought he was trying sabotage, so not a prize to drag around on show...

I've wondered what else remains from 1982, I know there are various bits of aeroplanes.

wazza

Visit site
I've just looked through your photos from Antarctica, Patagonia, and the Falklands... Absolutly Fantastic...!!!!!
Thank you for sharing them with us...

Conachair

Visit site
Wonderful photos, but they do beg the question of why anyone would want to cruise there of their own free will.

Are you kidding? :eek:

'Tis a varied bunch we are indeed, and why not. But one look just fans the flames of that constant urge to always go just a little bit further... :)

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Wonderful photographs, next best thing to sailing there which was on my retirement agenda, sadly now not to be. Thank you for posting them.