Photos of the Buoys

Dijon Mustard

Visit site
Hello. I’m a certified watchkeeper at Felixstowe National Coastwatch Institution (NCI). In our watchtower we mark out the location of all the visible buoys and beacons around the Harwich deep water channel and River Deben approaches (Lat and Long, and Bearing and Distance from our watchtower). These are used to aid general watchkeeping and also to help with the quick location of a casualty in the event of an incident.

To support the watchkeepers, especially our trainees many of whom are not sailors, we have photos of said buoys and beacons alongside the position information, but these photos need replacing.
Ideally we would like to update all the photos but they have to be of the specific buoy or beacon, not generic reds, greens or cardinals ie up close and personal showing the name or number, much as you might see in a Pilot book. It’s quite a long list!

From our tower, with the aid of very powerful binoculars we can see and would welcome photos of:
Wadgate Ledge Bn
Cobbolds Point
Woodbridge Haven
Cutler
South Bawdsey
HA Buoy
Washington
Cork Sand Beacon
Cork Sand Yacht Beacon
Felixstowe Ledge
Ship Channel Buoy 7 or 8
Pitching Ground
Inner Ridge
Outer Ridge
Landguard
Rolling Ground
Platters

Does anyone already have photos of these specific marks, or is anyone in a position to provide them?

About Us
NCI is a recognised part of the SAR facility and trained watchkeepers are the eyes and ears along the coast, monitoring radio channels 0, 16, 65, 67 and 71 and providing a listening watch in poor visibility.
We are here at Felixstowe (on Martello Tower P) every day during daylight hours keeping a visual watch over Felixstowe's beaches from Cobbolds Point to the north, to Martello Park to the south, and the sea from the Woodbridge Haven buoy to the north, out to Roughs Towers to the east and round to Walton on the Naze to the south. We also have webcams monitoring the Deben entrance.
We have dealt with 12 incidents already this year, giving HM Coastguard valuable local ‘eyes on’ information while they co-ordinate the emergency services attending the incident; and in some cases conning the RNLI lifeboat to the casualty’s position.

Call us on Channel 65 for radio and AIS checks and local weather information. We are here to help! Can you help us?

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Hello. I’m a certified watchkeeper at Felixstowe National Coastwatch Institution (NCI). In our watchtower we mark out the location of all the visible buoys and beacons around the Harwich deep water channel and River Deben approaches (Lat and Long, and Bearing and Distance from our watchtower). These are used to aid general watchkeeping and also to help with the quick location of a casualty in the event of an incident.

To support the watchkeepers, especially our trainees many of whom are not sailors, we have photos of said buoys and beacons alongside the position information, but these photos need replacing.
Ideally we would like to update all the photos but they have to be of the specific buoy or beacon, not generic reds, greens or cardinals ie up close and personal showing the name or number, much as you might see in a Pilot book. It’s quite a long list!

From our tower, with the aid of very powerful binoculars we can see and would welcome photos of:
Wadgate Ledge Bn
Cobbolds Point
Woodbridge Haven
Cutler
South Bawdsey
HA Buoy
Washington
Cork Sand Beacon
Cork Sand Yacht Beacon
Felixstowe Ledge
Ship Channel Buoy 7 or 8
Pitching Ground
Inner Ridge
Outer Ridge
Landguard
Rolling Ground
Platters

Does anyone already have photos of these specific marks, or is anyone in a position to provide them?

About Us
NCI is a recognised part of the SAR facility and trained watchkeepers are the eyes and ears along the coast, monitoring radio channels 0, 16, 65, 67 and 71 and providing a listening watch in poor visibility.
We are here at Felixstowe (on Martello Tower P) every day during daylight hours keeping a visual watch over Felixstowe's beaches from Cobbolds Point to the north, to Martello Park to the south, and the sea from the Woodbridge Haven buoy to the north, out to Roughs Towers to the east and round to Walton on the Naze to the south. We also have webcams monitoring the Deben entrance.
We have dealt with 12 incidents already this year, giving HM Coastguard valuable local ‘eyes on’ information while they co-ordinate the emergency services attending the incident; and in some cases conning the RNLI lifeboat to the casualty’s position.

Call us on Channel 65 for radio and AIS checks and local weather information. We are here to help! Can you help us?

Have you asked HHA or Trinity House?

tillergirl

Visit site
I fear not. It reminds me it has been a while before I was there with the camera (one failure this year). Most of mine there are not sufficiently recent. Cantata will, I'm sure have a few.

johnalison

Visit site
If you had asked earlier in the year it would have made a nice project for me but I am close to laying up now unfortunately. I’d be happy to have a go at many of them next year if they are still needed.

tillergirl

Visit site
If you had asked earlier in the year it would have made a nice project for me but I am close to laying up now unfortunately. I’d be happy to have a go at many of them next year if they are still needed.

Ditto. Got to finish the Ray Sand on the next tides, then due for laying up.

Dijon Mustard

Visit site
Thanks John (and fellow HR sailor - we sail Widgeon). May well take up your offer if no other leads. All the best for laying up.

Rappey

Visit site
Would it not be possible or even easier finding someone with a high magnification camera? You would also have a very accurate image of the buoy as seen from your tower.

pks1702

Visit site
A couple for you.

Attachments

• 712721847_HEZbw-O-2.jpg
    712721847_HEZbw-O-2.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0785 (2).jpg
    IMG_0785 (2).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28