Phantom 50 fuel gauges.

Noto

Visit site
I recently purchased a Fairline Phantom 50 from Fairline Mallorca (south).
Following our survey and filling the fuel tanks on departure from Mallorca to mainland Spain we noticed a significant difference of fuel taken on board to the reading on the helm fuel gauges.
Contacting the broker, who actually was the previous owner , he replied that the gauges always functioned correctly. Knowing the yacht had been stood in the berth the reason could be that the sliding float may be fouled and the 250 mile trip could in fact clear the problem. Unfortunately even though we suffered some inclement conditions on the journey the gauges are still inoperable.
So my questions are :- has anyone had the experience of replacing the sender units , or is an alternative method available with the technology of today.
Im was a mechanical engineer and in my earlier years could have approached this issue myself but now my agility has waned.
I need to know exactly where the sender is situated on the top of the tanks and hopefully an access panel could make the job easy as it looks a bit cramped in the engine room.

Another question is , do the tanks have a drain valve where I could design & install a sight gauge.

The actual replacement sender is quite cheap @ £40 but access is the problem even for a lithe person.
I was told by an ex Fairline employee that all the seats on the s/bd and the TV unit on the port may have to be removed for access ?.
Has anyone tackled this job, all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also on our crossing the C120 /W plotter, variable control button ( located at the bottom right hand side of the screen) detached from the panel, I need a replacement. Any ideas where I might purchase.

Any information would be welcomed
KR
Noto

John100156

Visit site
Hi Lester - I had a similar problem on my last boat a Sealine F43. Fortunately I was able to remove the port seats and found an access panel below the carpet, above the sender which allowed me to do the job.

Firstly, if you can take pictures below above the tanks in the engine room you might see if a panel exists (expect you have tried that) or at least where it’s situated, otherwise it’s a PIA taking the interior above to bits.

Anyway, hopefully others will be along shortly that may have a boat like yours and have done this job before.

I like the idea of a sight-glass on the tanks, can’t beat a visual inspection which you can valve-off but inspect from time-to-time!

Hope you get it sorted without too much aggravation!

Corona Mia

Visit site
I recently purchased a Fairline Phantom 50 from Fairline Mallorca (south).
Following our survey and filling the fuel tanks on departure from Mallorca to mainland Spain we noticed a significant difference of fuel taken on board to the reading on the helm fuel gauges.
Contacting the broker, who actually was the previous owner , he replied that the gauges always functioned correctly. Knowing the yacht had been stood in the berth the reason could be that the sliding float may be fouled and the 250 mile trip could in fact clear the problem. Unfortunately even though we suffered some inclement conditions on the journey the gauges are still inoperable.
So my questions are :- has anyone had the experience of replacing the sender units , or is an alternative method available with the technology of today.
Im was a mechanical engineer and in my earlier years could have approached this issue myself but now my agility has waned.
I need to know exactly where the sender is situated on the top of the tanks and hopefully an access panel could make the job easy as it looks a bit cramped in the engine room.

Another question is , do the tanks have a drain valve where I could design & install a sight gauge.

The actual replacement sender is quite cheap @ £40 but access is the problem even for a lithe person.
I was told by an ex Fairline employee that all the seats on the s/bd and the TV unit on the port may have to be removed for access ?.
Has anyone tackled this job, all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also on our crossing the C120 /W plotter, variable control button ( located at the bottom right hand side of the screen) detached from the panel, I need a replacement. Any ideas where I might purchase.

Any information would be welcomed
KR
Noto
Hi Noto…..and welcome to the forum.😀

Regarding your issue with the fuel gauges…I can’t really help with your boat, except to say that fuel gauge
senders sometime stick!
Different boat…..but mine was ‘refueled’ a while ago. Tanks should have been full, but despite the fuel truck ‘ticket’
showing a lot of litres……the gauges had hardly moved!
Went out for a ‘run’ (and after the first big wave) the gauges showed ‘Full’!

Regarding your plotter.…..I‘ve also got a C120w.
The ‘cursor button’ fell off. The waterproof plastic membrane under the ‘rocker’ button becomes brittle.
After some great advice from the wonderful people on this forum😀
I contacted a very helpful gentleman in Canada who mailed me a 3D printed replacement.
Service and delivery was great…….easy to fit…….and a lot cheaper than a new plotter!

John100156

Visit site
As said above, depending on the type of sender fitted, they can stick from time-to-time (that was the issue on my F43) but I am not sure the Phantom 50 has an arm and float type sensor fitted, but in any case the boat did a ~200+nm trip late last year from Mallorca (Portals) to Mainland Spain, which was quite bumpy near the end, so that ought to have dislodged it but it didn't.

BTW: You can get the C120W rotary dial from Coastal Rides Ebay Store - see link below:

Unicontroller Rotary Dial for Raymarine C Wide MFDs: C90w / C120w / C140w | eBay

It would be good to know from a Ph50 owner (whom has replaced the sender before), if FL fitted access panels above the senders in the floor.

Last edited:

Noto

Visit site
Yes I agree. I am currently trying to join the Fairline Owners Club, but at the end of registering it asks for a secret word that is on the Facebook pages of Fairline but I can't locate the relevant page. Can the club be joined by other means ?
Noto

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Yes I agree. I am currently trying to join the Fairline Owners Club, but at the end of registering it asks for a secret word that is on the Facebook pages of Fairline but I can't locate the relevant page. Can the club be joined by other means ?
Noto
The secret word is either "phantom" or "squadron". However, the website now gets very little traffic as everyone has moved to the Facebook Group with the same name.

Bei Facebook anmelden