Petrol or Diesel

DIW

Visit site
We are looking to purchase our first Boat and would welcome advice on the type of Engine best suited to our needs. We are looking at a 24' Cruiser,to be used on estuary and short inshore trips probably 80 - 100 hours per annum. advise please on Petrol v Diesel, recommended hp etc,etc.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well alot depends on where you are and how far you want to carry the petrol. It's vertualy unobtainable most places. One reason why petrol engined boats are much cheaper. Then course. You have to think about the mug your going to eventualy want to sell the boat on to. He will need a load of old jerry cans as well!! Theres no real argument. Just buy diesel/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red> No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Haydn

DavidP

Visit site
Hi

I have twin V6 petrol mercruisers in my Searay which is about 27 feet long ,at around 20/30 MPH i use about 10 gallons an hour ,faster than this and it goes quicker than a spring tide on the ebb, as for Diesel i wouldnt know but would guess less than mine.

Dave.

BarryD

Visit site
The Sealine S23 diesel is spot on your budget. And if you wanted to borrow some money so would mine be. Forget safety issues it's down to a question of useage and fuel availability. Petrol is £5 a gallon, Diesel is £1.50. If you won't be doing too many hours then choose petrol (servicing costs are cheaper). Also forget the sale on issues - you bought it cheap and you'll sell it cheap, not an issue.

Enjoy.

So you unscrew this, and put it safely here, then oopps...
All - IMHO, BTW, FWIW and NWGOI

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Captain,
My first check would be what is the cost of insurance of petrol versus diesel power.
My next decision would be diesel with a much lower flash point, you can't just run outside and say look at that burn.

Avagoodweekend Old Salt Oz....../forums/images/icons/cool.gif