Petition to Extend 90/180 Rule.

europe172

Visit site
This is a link to an official petition which, if it gains 100,000 signatures, will require that Government to negotiate extended stays in Schengen for Brits.

Please read more, and sign. And pass on.
This is a link to an official petition which, if it gains 100,000 signatures, will require that Government to negotiate extended stays in Schengen for Brits.

Please read more, and sign. And pass on.
Wrong. If you get 100,000 signatures it is discussed in parliament. - it government has already answered - the eu is not going to change how it treats third countries. They don’t think we are special. Do you?

bedouin

Visit site
AIUI the 90/180 rule is an EU rule imposed on UK citizens which is much more restrictive than that UK places on EU citizens.

It is not in the UKs gift to force the EU to reciprocate - you need to use the EU equivalent for that.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
AIUI the 90/180 rule is an EU rule imposed on UK citizens which is much more restrictive than that UK places on EU citizens.

It is not in the UKs gift to force the EU to reciprocate - you need to use the EU equivalent for that.
But, sadly, the UK voted to leave the EU. As the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for".

As a remainer I strongly support the EU's line, but understood the the UK government declined an offer of 180/360 days.

If other "third countries" skippers can work within the 90/180 day rule why not UK skippers?

bedouin

Visit site
As a remainer I strongly support the EU's line, but understood the the UK government declined an offer of 180/360 days.

If other "third countries" skippers can work within the 90/180 day rule why not UK skippers?
That hardly seems credible. Given that UK is offering more generous terms to EU citizens why would it object to EU reciprocating? And anyway the EU is free to match the UK terms without any agreement from the EU.

I fully support those who want EU to reciprocate and I can only hope that when the dust settles lots of these little niggles get quietly resolved.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
That hardly seems credible. Given that UK is offering more generous terms to EU citizens why would it object to EU reciprocating? And anyway the EU is free to match the UK terms without any agreement from the EU.
But if they do it for the UK they will need to do it for every other nation.

bedouin

Visit site
Not necessarily - most countries have different rules for different nationalities. But if it is truely the case then there really isn't much point petitioning Westminster to change it.

syvictoria

Visit site

I think that perhaps depends on the way in which it's done. If it's the Schengen visa that's amended, then it will surely have to apply to all other third countries. It's it a bilateral agreement between the EU and the UK, then I suspect it can be restricted to just that.

syvictoria

Visit site

I fully support those who want EU to reciprocate and I can only hope that when the dust settles lots of these little niggles get quietly resolved.

I seem to recall that the sticking point was the way in which 180/360 would be implemented, rather than the time allowed. The EU wanted to have a straight visa free/waived system. The UK wanted to have control and the ability to implement a visa system - so as to 'control our borders' and all that rubbish.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I seem to recall that the sticking point was the way in which 180/360 would be implemented, rather than the time allowed. The EU wanted to have a straight visa free/waived system. The UK wanted to have control and the ability to implement a visa system - so as to 'control our borders' and all that rubbish.
I think that you are correct. I'm surprised that anyone on this forum managed to miss the fact that the UK Government declined the EU's offer. It seemed bizarre that UK allowed EU citizens to remain in UK for 180 days but declined their offer to allow UK citizens to remain in EU for the same period. It has been discussed several times.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I would be interested to know if this country operates the same 90 day limits,if not why not

The rule on the UK side allows EU citizens to come to the UK for visits of up to six months at a time. This is due to the UK’s standard immigration law for foreign visitors exempt from short-stay visas. e.g. Americans who visit the UK.

Reciprocity could have been negotiated but the UK weren't interested in accepting the offer. I don't think it was included in the Withdrawal Agreement that was signed between the UK and EU at the start of 2020, as it fell outside its scope.

I think that the treaty mostly focused on protecting the residency rights in their respective countries of residence of existing UK citizens in the EU and vice versa (plus lots of other stuff).

bedouin

Visit site
Reciprocity could have been negotiated but the UK weren't interested in accepting the offer. I don't think it was included in the Withdrawal Agreement that was signed between the UK and EU at the start of 2020, as it fell outside its scope.
That statement does not make sense - why should UK not allow EU to reciprocate and anyway what has it to do with UK what rules the EU imposes.

I really don't believe that the EU offered to give the same rights to UK citizens as UK gives to EU and UK refused. That really is inconceivable. Can you provide evidence for your assertion?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think that you are correct. I'm surprised that anyone on this forum managed to miss the fact that the UK Government declined the EU's offer. It seemed bizarre that UK allowed EU citizens to remain in UK for 180 days but declined their offer to allow UK citizens to remain in EU for the same period. It has been discussed several times.
Mike you quite right , everyone missed this, is it possible that our government want others to come and spend time and their money in the UK and don't want us to spend our money in other countries?