Petition: Change the laws and regulations on our waterways

jala150

Visit site
A colleague of mine has started this petition following the death of a family member. It would be great if people could sign and share this so it can be raised in parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226218

There are no nationwide criminal laws on our waterways for private vessels regarding speed limits, alcohol drink drive limits, compulsory wearing of life jackets, mandatory safety training or vessel safety checks.

We propose introducing the following criminal laws to be consistent across our waterways for private vessels:

- Speed limits
- Alcohol drink drive limits
- Mandatory wearing of life jackets
- Safety training
- Vessel safety standards

CLB

Visit site
A colleague of mine has started this petition following the death of a family member. It would be great if people could sign and share this so it can be raised in parliament.

The case behind this petition is very sad, but there is already a speed limit on the particular section of waterway where this accident happened. If that rule was already being ignored, how would further rules have prevented it?

Personally I am not in favour of mandatory lifejackets, although every boat should carry enough for everyone on board and they should be offered to guests as a matter of course.

As tragic as this accident was, I don't think more rules is the answer.

pvb

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't ever sign that petition; boating is one of the last freedoms in our society and it should remain so. We individually take responsibility for our own, and our friends', safety. Draconian rules wouldn't have prevented the 2015 death on the Thames, drunken people tend to take little notice of rules.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I certainly wouldn't ever sign that petition; boating is one of the last freedoms in our society and it should remain so. We individually take responsibility for our own, and our friends', safety. Draconian rules wouldn't have prevented the 2015 death on the Thames, drunken people tend to take little notice of rules.
+1

Praxinoscope

Visit site

+1

Tranona

Visit site

Don't think you will get much positive response here. The loss of a life is sad but in this case it was the sole responsibility of the individual who has now been found guilty. No amount of legislation will stop individuals behaving in this way.

CLB

Visit site
I think common sense is the key. Common sense would say not to get on a small speedboat in the middle of the night on the Thames in central London when the guy in charge has had a skin full. Unfortunately common sense goes out the window as alcohol is consumed, and therefore rules become moot.

People die doing silly things when drunk. Almost none of us are immune. I have done my fair share during my life. There but for the grace of God and all that.

sailorman

Visit site
I think common sense is the key. Common sense would say not to get on a small speedboat in the middle of the night on the Thames in central London when the guy in charge has had a skin full. Unfortunately common sense goes out the window as alcohol is consumed, and therefore rules become moot.

People die doing silly things when drunk. Almost none of us are immune. I have done my fair share during my life. There but for the grace of God and all that.

didnt he buy the vessel with the sole intention to pull women

CLB

Visit site
I am not sure it was only for that, but he certainly used it that way. My post actually refereed to common sense from the deceased. She made a bad choice and paid very dearly for it.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
The OP appears to own a relatively modest sized sailing boat on one of the Essex Rivers, maybe he or she could reflect on how those proposals might impact on thier boating and what, if any, positive impact on safety is envisaged should they be adopted.

Boathook

Visit site

Totally agree. More rules wont make any difference.

jac

Visit site
Also a no from me.

A tragic accident and heart goes out to the family and friends of the young lady killed. As for the bloke - hope he rots in hell but more laws are not the issue.

Making a top flight racing crew wear a LJ in a flat calm on the solent or the clyde would achieve nothing - Where is the problem. Insisting that anyone on a boat - even when it was safely anchored had had no more say 2 pints will disturb the pleasure of thousands of ordinary boat users.

jala150

Visit site
The OP (that’s me) does indeed own a moderately sized boat on an Essex River, excellent research.
Impact on me if these recommendations came into force (which would be highly unlikely) would be wearing a life jacket at all times, and ensuring my vessel meets any safety standard required.

But you will see from my original post I did not create this petition. I suspect the person who did has very little understanding of pleasure craft. In fact I also disagree with some of the creators proposals, but I am most certainly open to suggestions that will improve the experience of boating both in terms of safety and enjoyment for everyone.

The OP appears to own a relatively modest sized sailing boat on one of the Essex Rivers, maybe he or she could reflect on how those proposals might impact on thier boating and what, if any, positive impact on safety is envisaged should they be adopted.

Seajet

Visit site
I'm with the majority here, the young lady's death was tragic but inflicting rules on the rest of us will not bring her back, nor save anyone else in a similar situation - I will not be signing.

jac

Visit site
But you will see from my original post I did not create this petition. I suspect the person who did has very little understanding of pleasure craft. In fact I also disagree with some of the creators proposals, but I am most certainly open to suggestions that will improve the experience of boating both in terms of safety and enjoyment for everyone.

AS you say - this was created by an upset relative who doesn't understand the situation. I can understand that. Fortunately - parliament usually relies on evidence so suspect that this will get nowhere.

Not sure how any of this will improve safety or experience for anyone. It will simply create a bureaucratic tick box approach that does nothing. It should not be encouraged