Perspex corners

IvorClarke

Visit site
Got the new piece of Perspex for the fore hatch, which of course has right angled corners and I need to round them off to a radius similar to a 5 pence piece. Thought about warming it until just hand warm on a radiator then using a flat second cut file. Anyone any better ideas.
Thanks
Ivor

VicS

Visit site
Got the new piece of Perspex for the fore hatch, which of course has right angled corners and I need to round them off to a radius similar to a 5 pence piece. Thought about warming it until just hand warm on a radiator then using a flat second cut file. Anyone any better ideas.
Thanks
Ivor

It'll file easily enough without warming then sand with progressively finer grades and finally polish.

likewise take off all the sharp edges and polish

But couldn't the supplier have cut to size, radiused the corners and polished all the edges?

pmagowan

sites.google.com
files easy as VicS says. I would not warm it otherwise you are more likely to gum up your file. Once you have it the way you want it some people use a flame to polish but I don't think I would bother.

geem

Visit site
I have done this for my new portlights with a belt sander with 60 grit to shape then palm sander with 120 grit to finish. Worked a treat

Boo2

Visit site
A file will work fine but there's no need to warm it first. Just file across the corner, then across the new corners you just made, then round off. A final bout of draw filing should leave everything smooth enough to start using emery in progressively finer grades until you end up polishing it.

I'd mask up the parts you don't want to scratch before starting though...

Boo2

IvorClarke

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I don't have a belt sander so that's out and the supplier wanted to almost double the price to shape and polish. Looks like a trip to B & Q for some emery paper then. Thanks again, Ivor