Perros Guirec marina, lock doors left open

Frogmogman

Visit site
Apparently it could have been far worse; a gentleman called Titouan Galle, realizing his boat was aground at about 11pm, and seeing the lights were still green, rushed up to the control booth. He then managed to close the gates before calling the police. By the time he managed this, the water level had reduced to 1.5m below its normal height, leaving in general about 1m of water. Without his quick thinking, the whole marina would have dried completely.

A lot of damage nonetheless.

FWIW, I understand Mr Galle is a liveaboard. Something for those marinas that appear to not want liveaboards to reflect upon.

Last edited:

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
FWIW, I understand Mr Galle is a liveaboard. Something for those marinas that appear to not want liveaboards to reflect upon.
That particular marina should be reflecting on how the lock gate (surely not singular; they usually come in pairs, even if not double-doors) could be left open. Not even basic inter-locks? (Just to confuse terminology further...)

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Pontoons have suffered as well, mooring ropes action from semi grounded listing boats :(

Le port de Perros-Guirec se vide de son eau après un oubli de fermeture de portes
dans-la-matinee-du-mercredi-5-janvier-le-niveau-de-l-eau_6105349_676x338p.jpg

doris

Visit site
[I was in St Vaast a few weeks ago, by car not boat, and as always pondered what might the result be should the same happened there. Not a good thought!

Frogmogman

Visit site
It’s certainly something else for me to think about in my decision on where to keep my boat; Le Havre (all tide) or Port Deauville (locked in - accessible about 16hrs/24). TBH, I’d already pretty much made my mind up to go with Le Havre for a variety of reasons…..

James_Calvert

Visit site
It’s certainly something else for me to think about in my decision on where to keep my boat; Le Havre (all tide) or Port Deauville (locked in - accessible about 16hrs/24). TBH, I’d already pretty much made my mind up to go with Le Havre for a variety of reasons…..
The nice thing about Le Havre is you can visit Deauville.

Not sure if the corollary applies...

Gwylan

Visit site
Le Have can get very smelly, even by NF standards

Frogmogman

Visit site
The attractions of Le Havre are the all tide access, I also prefer the yacht club (the société des régates du Havre), which is, shall we say, less formal and rather more active than Deauville. Access to either from where I live is equally easy, but Le Havre has the bonus of the ferry for any friends joining from England. As James Calvert and Lady in Bed point out, it leaves Deauville as a nearby destination.

In many ways, what I’d really like to do is keep the boat down in Brittany, but that would be quite a schlepp, and I do want the boat to be “pop-downable” for now. I can always move it back down that way in a couple of years if I like, and if my plans to be more hands off with my business work out.