Patio Magic?

xeitosaphil

Visit site
Just treated sprayhood last week in the sunshine prior to launching, same as usual.
Never noticed that the patio magic spray had hit the clear window sections. Now it's been on a few days in the sunshine I find the sprayed area is yellow. Is it possible to treat it with anything to get it off, or do you think it has stained the window oermanently.

Has anybody had the same situation and managed to remove the staining from the sprayhood windows. If so what product have you used, or have I ruined the windows.

stu9000

Visit site
I have not noticed Patio Magic discolouring the window panels and i use it at the start of every season. Maybe it is residue rather than permanent staining? As a first move, I would consider trying to get it off with a cloth and white spirit. If that does not work and it does appear to have stained a fine polishing compound should cut it back enough to get it out. T Cut maybe. I have used Farecla G10 finishing compound on car body work and faded headlights with pleasing results. Even toothpaste might be worth a try. But test on an out of the way section to ensure your cutting material is able to make the plastic appear clear rather than cloudy.

Halo

Visit site
Never had that problem but I don’t get a lot on the window panels.
Perhaps talk to the manufacturer and see if they can recommend a solvent to remove it

Momac

Visit site
The patio magic caused damage to my canopy windows. Eventually the window material becomes opaque and brittle to the point that it splits. I have had the windows replaced.
It started with the window that gets the most sun at the home mooring.
The deterioration is gradual but seems unstoppable.
Other boats same story.
So I now use various cleaners on the canvas eg. laundry liquid or snow foam in water and avoid use of any chemicals on the windows.

The Q

Visit site
The patio magic caused damage to my canopy windows. Eventually the window material becomes opaque and brittle to the point that it splits. I have had the windows replaced.
It started with the window that gets the most sun at the home mooring.
The deterioration is gradual but seems unstoppable.
Other boats same story.
So I now use various cleaners on the canvas eg. laundry liquid or snow foam in water and avoid use of any chemicals on the windows.
Plastic does that anyway, it doesn't like heat nor sun.
I'm currently repairing plastic switches from RAF radar control panels ( for Home | RAF Air Defence Radar Museum ) Not sunshine but 30 years of light bulbs permanently on followed by 20 years of being on 10:00 till 17:00. The plastic just becomes brittle.

Momac

Visit site
Plastic does that anyway, it doesn't like heat nor sun.
Yes it does.
But the windows started to go milky around the bottom edge where I had applied the patio magic solution to kill off the worst of the green algae.
I am convinced the patio magic either directly affected the windows or it made them less resistant to UV damage.
I will not be using it again on the boat canopy.

Aja

Visit site
The windows we are talking about here are vinyl and very unlikely to have any protective coating.

The only cleaning method I would recommend would be warm soapy water.

Leave Patio Magic and other biocides (if that's what they are) to use on the deck.

Scubadoo

Visit site
Yes it does.
But the windows started to go milky around the bottom edge where I had applied the patio magic solution to kill off the worst of the green algae.
I am convinced the patio magic either directly affected the windows or it made them less resistant to UV damage.
I will not be using it again on the boat canopy.
Yes patio magic will reduce the windows life, the same when using fabsil treatment, I learnt the hard way many many years ago. Now, I still use those products but with a paint brush and very careful along the window joins, not been a problem since. The worse is if your neighbour gets carried away with a sprayer like covering the deck and getting it on your canvas windows.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I'll be the contrarian. BAC (Patio Magic) is not your problem.
  • No solvent needed. BAC (benzalkonium chloride) is extremely water soluable.
  • BAC does not damage vinyl. I had done side-by-side testing, letting it dry and weather, and it did nothing. Being water soluble in nature, it does not penetrate.
  • BAC is used in vinyl floor cleaners. The cap liner and some sprayer components are vinyl. No damamge.
  • BAC is used as a primary disinfectant in aircraft and detailing fine cars because it does not damamge vinyl, as alcohol may.
The changes you are seeing are coincidental and age related. If it did damamge it would be fogging, like DEET, not yellowing. That's age. Same with cracking. They may be related to local atmospheric dirt or other waterproofing compounds. Certainly UV.

It is possible that there are other ingredients that could do harm, but I doubt it. It looks like just a little soap for wetting.

Take a scrap, put diluted Patio Magic on one side. Wash it off a day later. Then you will know.

Momac

Visit site
I will also be careful while applying Fabsil which I intend to do in the near future.

As for whether patio magic causes damage to canopy windows I have seen the evidence not only on my boat but on others on the same marina pontoon . One boat with no damage has not used patio magic. Whether people want to believe it or not is up to them.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I will also be careful while applying Fabsil which I intend to do in the near future.

As for whether patio magic causes damage to canopy windows I have seen the evidence not only on my boat but on others on the same marina pontoon . One boat with no damage has not used patio magic. Whether people want to believe it or not is up to them.

Test the hypothesis. Treat a sample. Perhaps there is some dependence on the type of vinyl. My tests were with Strataglas. It is not a know problem in the US.

Of course, we don't use it as much here. Less rain. Waterproofers, on the other hand, have a record of damamge (not all of them). They run off a little when it rains and they can soak into the viynl, causing clouding. But I am 100% certain that cracking is just age related. This sort of chemical just isn't going to cause that. It is mostly gradual leaching of the plastisizers.

Last edited:

xeitosaphil

Visit site
Some interesting thoughts and solutions. Will give some of them a try and report back.
I did use Fabsil on the sprayhood as well, so will be interesting to see how that effects it over time?

Thanks for the suggestions folks

johnalison

Visit site
It is not something I had given any thought to. I have used PM for many years on my deck but only occasionally put it on the sprayhood. As it happens, the clear section, which is not large on my HR hood, went uniformly brown and opaque last year. As I paint PM, only small parts of the panel would ever have been in contact and I am sure that the damage was purely age and UV. I think the possibility of PM causing damage is unlikely, but the anecdotes we have heard don't constitute evidence and clearly practical tests should settle the matter. My boat looks years younger with a nice new panel.