Pathfinder RL70C no charts or radar

2copplane

Visit site
I have a rl70c chartplotter and repeater with a couple of issues. The unit has two cMap charts installed but I cannot get it to display anything better than the built in base chart. The charts are not for area the boat is located but zooming into to areas covered doesn’t bring anything up. I’ve tried swapping the charts around and a factory reset.

The radar isn’t working either and hasn’t for a couple of years, I think the cable between the mast and scanner has been rubbed and water has has seeped in the cable.

Any suggestions to trouble shoot gratefully received. I’m thinking that if I can get charts working I may try a new radar cable.

2copplane

Visit site
Posting a follow up as it may be helpful to others. the issue with no charts showing was a faulty cMap card. I had two cards installed and once the duff one was removed there remaining chart started showing on the plotter. Next step is the radar..

adamlang

Visit site
Since you not had any other replies. Just to say that I use a SL70c (the combined plotter and radar unit), not yet had the problem you mention. I have some manuals I could PM you that include various troubleshooting check lists, if that's helpful? I'd be interested in the cause of the fault, I'd guess maybe corrosion causing too much voltage drop, or maybe a mistake in the mast connection lots of small wires there.

oldgit

Visit site
Are the cards you already have "Wide Area" or MAX ?
Think the RL70C may only function with older " local" area charts. ?
Borrow a basic NT chart from somebody and see if that works.
Is the GPS antenna working ?

Last edited:

2copplane

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I have the manuals. I’ve sussed the issue with lack of charts is due to faulty one and when plugged in stops both working. I also tweaked Plotter Mode as that messes with the ability to zoom. The two cards are Cmap NT North and South of the west coast of Scotland so assume they are local ones and not max. When the second dodgy card is installed it stops the other card working so I’m pretty confident that is the source and the plotter is in good health.
The GPS is interesting as I think it takes its gps via the autopilot I will have to trace that one (or just turn off the pilot), regardless I am getting an accurate position on the plotter. I did remove what I assumed was a spare gps antenna a while back which may have been the original feed.

To try and repair the radar I’ve decided to replace the radar cable as it has some damage to the outer insulation and I suspect water has got in. Gob smacked at how much they are!

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I have the manuals. I’ve sussed the issue with lack of charts is due to faulty one and when plugged in stops both working. I also tweaked Plotter Mode as that messes with the ability to zoom. The two cards are Cmap NT North and South of the west coast of Scotland so assume they are local ones and not max. When the second dodgy card is installed it stops the other card working so I’m pretty confident that is the source and the plotter is in good health.
The GPS is interesting as I think it takes its gps via the autopilot I will have to trace that one (or just turn off the pilot), regardless I am getting an accurate position on the plotter. I did remove what I assumed was a spare gps antenna a while back which may have been the original feed.

To try and repair the radar I’ve decided to replace the radar cable as it has some damage to the outer insulation and I suspect water has got in. Gob smacked at how much they are!

Usually quite a few on Ebay.
Make sure you get the right one to suit your scanner. Different scanners have different KW outputs, however the only difference seems to be the power and ground wiring just appears to be doubled up .

adamlang

Visit site
Yes very expensive to replace the cable, I saw £150. If you had some spare length maybe you could cut out the bad bit and wire a joint. Lots to spend if it doesn't solve the problem. Maybe even worth extending it with some plain multi strand cable just to check there's not some other fault. Anyway good luck.

2copplane

Visit site
Does the rl70crc plus work with cmap nt+ cards? I’ve found mixed guidance on the web. I’ve purchase an nt+ for my region and it kind of half works with very small fragments of chart showing. I’m not sure if the card is duff or it simply isn’t compatible. The original cmap nt works ok so the plotter seem okay.

Gypsy

www.tech-x.com.au
I have a rl70c chartplotter and repeater with a couple of issues. The unit has two cMap charts installed but I cannot get it to display anything better than the built in base chart. The charts are not for area the boat is located but zooming into to areas covered doesn’t bring anything up. I’ve tried swapping the charts around and a factory reset.

The radar isn’t working either and hasn’t for a couple of years, I think the cable between the mast and scanner has been rubbed and water has has seeped in the cable.

Any suggestions to trouble shoot gratefully received. I’m thinking that if I can get charts working I may try a new radar cable.
Are you aware there is a self test mode? Here is my note as to how to use it, but it has been a while...:

Selftest/Test Mode for RL70/RC530/L770 etc

Press Menu
Select Radar or chart Set-Up
Press Enter for 5sec + until test buttons show on softkeys
You can see the results of the self-test (I took a photo of the results for my RL80 for future reference)
You can also choose to view incoming data for either Seatalk or NMEA.

This may help you decide if the problem is the cable or not.
R

2copplane

Visit site
Thanks Gypsy I knew it had a test mode but could not remember how to locate it. I’ve now run it and all looks good except the cable which shows a fail unfortunately I didn’t have time to delve further. It’s a brand new cable so hoping it’s just some corrosion on the connector. I have a repeater mono rl70 so will try connecting to that as well.

when I opened up the radome it was very wet so wouldn’t be surprised if the circuit board has corroded though I’m hoping that once dry may ping into life.

next step will probably be buying a used radome and the most common is a r218d but unsure if that is compatible?