Passage planning. Amsterdam

stu9000

Visit site
Hi all
I'm reading around on sailing to Amsterdam from the Medway and would appreciate any tips.

35 ft Westerly.
Based on the Medway.
Fair bit of sailing experience but I have not crossed the channel for 20 years.

If the wind is dead aft I thought I might go from the Medway up to Shotley for a night and go across to IJmuiden from there. Or go straight from Medway. Depends on forecast really.

A very conservative average speed is 5k so I'm expecting the journey to take between 12 an 18 hours Shotley to ijmuiden or 24 hours direct from medway. No more than 30 at the most.

I've not been to Holland before.
What administrative processing is expected?

After a rest in the Ijmuiden marina I was planning to head over to the six heaven marina. Stay there for a night or two and then return home. How long does that bit take? My depth is 1.5m. Any issues there?

Some posts suggest the return journey if best taken using the inland route due to the prevailing wind being on the nose.
I'm thinking this might take a long time. What do you think?

I'd prefer the sea route but perhaps taking a tack down the Dutch coast.
What would be a good overnight stop before jumping across the Channel? Breskens?

I'll do this in August.

Thanks all

S

MoodySabre

Visit site
I think 18 hours for Shotley to Ijmuiden is optimistic. This year I did Bradwell to Breskens and that was 21 hours. Lowestoft to Ijmuiden is the shortest crossing at about 100nm.

No administrative stuff. Those that are sticklers will suggest filling out the Schengen forms (see RYA website) and handing them in at first port. I've never bothered or been asked for anything.

The inland route is not fast as some of the big bridges have restricted openings during weekday rush hours. I enjoyed it because there are interesting places to stop and visit. Just pushing on through could be done in two or three days (avoid the Veersemeer and take the Hansweert canal to the Westerschelde and thence to Breskens. Can save a day if you get the tides right). IMO opinion you would miss the delights of the southern part.

Try and avoid the school holidays - the locks on the inland route get very busy in August.

Sixhaven is nearest to Amsterdam but can get very crowded. There are other marinas a longer ferry ride away.

johnalison

Visit site
We take about 17hrs from Lowestoft-Ijmuiden mooring to mooring going at six knots, so you won't do this from Shotley.

I would plan two routes and decide according to the weather. Either north via Essex or South via the Westerschelde. Going south you may not get to Amsterdam but will still have a good holiday. If you really want to get to Amsterdam in little time you will just have to go for it, either by making a long crossing or via Lowestoft, depending on crew, stamina and weather.

The Sixhaven is usually fine and welcoming and it is surprising how many boats they squeeze in, though leaving in a hurry may not be so easy. Our plan is usually to overnight nearby, either Ijmuiden or near the Markermeer, and get to the Sixhaven mid morning, when many boats will be leaving. The Aeolus nearby is if anything even better and both are handy for the ferries. The Aeolus is under threat of closure due to a proposed pedestrian bridge so why no visit while you can. Two days in the city is not much but you can get a taste of the scruffy old tart.

Visit site
I did this singlehanded, Halfpenny Pier as stopover. Nothing tricky in particular crossing that bit of N Sea.
Watch out for the fast hydrofoils in the canal, I got startled by one.
Sixhaven was jam packed and very friendly and characterful, some old boys were having a live snail eating match at the marina bar!
As said ^, 2 days is not enough for the stunning art and museums, and to enjoy the historic atmosphere on the minor canals.

Last edited:

Tradewinds

www.etsy.com
The hydrofoils are long gone.

Sixhaven is the most fun if you can get in. I was refused entry one year by the HM on his bike. It wasn't rammed so I don't know the reason why. Just managed to get a spot at Aeolus.

If all else fails there is always Amsterdam Marina (where I'm currently berthed).

I did this singlehanded, Halfpenny Pier as stopover. Nothing tricky in particular crossing that bit of N Sea. Can you carry a tide from your berth to Harwich?
Watch out for the fast hydrofoils in the canal, I got startled by one.
Sixhaven was very friendly, some old boys were having a live snail eating match at the marina bar!
As said ^, 2 days is not enough for the stunning art and museums, and to enjoy the historic atmosphere on the minor canals.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
We went Burnham to Ijmuiden in July. Flat calm much of the time so motored, took nearly 30 hrs, not good. Shotley would have been better but we were constrained by crew timetable. Saw almost no traffic for entire route until the approach to Ijmuiden.
Ijmuiden Marina will accept Schengen forms, but they can't really see the point of them. There is a box to deposit them, perhaps they are binned when the box is full? Will this change post Brexit?
Ijmuiden has a good beach and some good beach bars and a few seaside shops.
Haarlem is worth a visit, easily reached by bus, quicker than by boat.
We stopped in Amsterdam Marina, convenient but can't say I warmed to it, probably my bad mood.
Sixhaven was chock a block and Aeolus didn't appeal. Durgadam is quiet and quaint and 1/2 hr by bike or bus to town.
On the way home we had to take the night convoy through Amsterdam and got delayed for 2 days in the waiting area, Houtmanskade. You moor alongside the street, no facilities but free and just a few minutes walk into city centre. What would happen if you deliberately used this as a berth? We asked the bridge keeper but just got the Dutch Shrug.:)

Ali-alshira

Visit site
We reckon on about 24 hours plus or minus a bit from Shotley to Ijmuiden. Look out for the new windfarms, De Ruyter gas platform and the TSS off IJmuiden. All are easy, but bear in mind that the tide may take you closer to one of them than you intended! Sometimes you hear other yachts (or even yourself) being contacted by radio and asked to keep clear. There is more traffic the Dutch than the UK side, mainly concentrated between De Ruyter and the TSS, so we usually aim to do that bit in daylight. AIS is useful and reassuring. You need to fill in a Schengen form and post it in a box in IJmuiden - they have the forms ready dor you there. We have been inspected most years ( never for red diesel) - they ask for ships papers and passports - always very friendly and efficient - either in the marina or just past the lock. The IJmuiden to Amsterdam canal is wide and deep, with quite large ships and ferries, and barges etc but very straightforward. The sea lock (one of the small ones on the south side) at IJmuiden is reasonably yacht friendly. It takes a couple of hours into Amsterdam. You can even stay in IJmuiden and travel by bus straight from the marina - not really recommended,but possible.

johnalison

Visit site
We went Burnham to Ijmuiden in July. Flat calm much of the time so motored, took nearly 30 hrs, not good. Shotley would have been better but we were constrained by crew timetable. Saw almost no traffic for entire route until the approach to Ijmuiden.
Ijmuiden Marina will accept Schengen forms, but they can't really see the point of them. There is a box to deposit them, perhaps they are binned when the box is full? Will this change post Brexit?
Ijmuiden has a good beach and some good beach bars and a few seaside shops.
Haarlem is worth a visit, easily reached by bus, quicker than by boat.
We stopped in Amsterdam Marina, convenient but can't say I warmed to it, probably my bad mood.
Sixhaven was chock a block and Aeolus didn't appeal. Durgadam is quiet and quaint and 1/2 hr by bike or bus to town.
On the way home we had to take the night convoy through Amsterdam and got delayed for 2 days in the waiting area, Houtmanskade. You moor alongside the street, no facilities but free and just a few minutes walk into city centre. What would happen if you deliberately used this as a berth? We asked the bridge keeper but just got the Dutch Shrug.:)

We were turned away from Amsterdam marina but squeezed into Sixhaven! If doing Amsterdam I wouldn't waste time going to Haarlem, which deserves a visit of its own and contains one of my favourite paintings, Frans Hals' 'The Regentesses'.

If you have never been to Aeolus, it does look a bit forbidding from the canal, but in fact it is very pleasant with a friendly club. You might get a box or raft only two boats. The entrance is narrow and they display three red lights when it is full, so there is no need to waste time going right in. There are two supermarkets and a brewery next-door (open and lively only certain days, Fri & Sat I think). There is a SC between the locks and railway bridge to the east. It is useful and cheap but with limited facilities.

stu9000

Visit site
Thanks for all of these vaauable contributions.
I'll allow more time, and plan two routes as suggested.
I'd like to stay longer than a week but it might not be practical for the crew. Various options being explored. Very helpful to get a feel for the different marina options. Thanks again. Roll on spring.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Did this one way from Amsterdam to Harwich last June. Left Holland just before dawn and we picked up a buoy off Pin Mill in time to see the sunset. But we had F4-5 beams winds which allowed an average SOG of 7kts.
The wind farms, some of which have TSS adjacent, might get in the way a bit however you can sail through these as long as they are not under construction.
Sixhaven should be your preferred marina. In thd first week of June it was very quiet.
Do try to visit Enkhuizen or one of the other historic ports just the other side of Amsterdam.

TLouth7

Visit site
120 miles from Harwich to Ijmuiden at 5kt comes to 24 hours, you would have to be really shifting to do it in daylight. On the other hand with 4 on board (and a working auto helm) what does passage time matter? Harwich to Ijmuiden is an easy passage, there is far less traffic north of Rotterdam so the shipping lane is less daunting than the crossing to Breskens/Vlissingen/Roompotsluis.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
We were turned away from Amsterdam marina but squeezed into Sixhaven! If doing Amsterdam I wouldn't waste time going to Haarlem, which deserves a visit of its own and contains one of my favourite paintings, Frans Hals' 'The Regentesses'.

If you have never been to Aeolus, it does look a bit forbidding from the canal, but in fact it is very pleasant with a friendly club. You might get a box or raft only two boats. The entrance is narrow and they display three red lights when it is full, so there is no need to waste time going right in. There are two supermarkets and a brewery next-door (open and lively only certain days, Fri & Sat I think). There is a SC between the locks and railway bridge to the east. It is useful and cheap but with limited facilities.
Amsterdam Marina tried to discourage us but we had two 18 year olds who wanted the city scene, so we persevered. Couldn't raise the harbourmaster by phone or VHF so picked an empty berth. Eventually told no space although there seemed to be loads of empty berths. The harbourmistress [a student?] grudgingly allowed us to stay on the breakwater, but no water or electricity. They still charged full whack. Many berths remained empty during our stay. Showers & toilets were good though. This was the only haven where we were made to feel unwelcome throughout our summer in Nederland.
I was obviously wrong about Aeolus, I'll try it next time.

Tradewinds

www.etsy.com
I'm surprised by that. What time of year? I know that when they were hosting the HISWA boat show at the beginning of September boats who were in the show area have to vacate their berths last 2 weeks of August (berth elsewhere in the marina or go to sister marinas). During that time and for up to a week after the show they don't accept visitors.

Normally there's quite a churn of visiting boats - many of them hire motor boats.

Staff have always been pleasant and helpful to me (even before we berthed there permanently) but, hey ho they obviously weren't very good for you.

Trouble is, Amsterdam is a very popular stopover with a shortage of berths and I guess staff just get complacent.

Amsterdam Marina tried to discourage us but we had two 18 year olds who wanted the city scene, so we persevered. Couldn't raise the harbourmaster by phone or VHF so picked an empty berth. Eventually told no space although there seemed to be loads of empty berths. The harbourmistress [a student?] grudgingly allowed us to stay on the breakwater, but no water or electricity. They still charged full whack. Many berths remained empty during our stay. Showers & toilets were good though. This was the only haven where we were made to feel unwelcome throughout our summer in Nederland.
I was obviously wrong about Aeolus, I'll try it next time.

johnalison

Visit site
If you want to use Den Haag, (Scheveningen) as a stop off when heading down the coast check with the local YC if they are receiving visitors as they do have some events when they close the marina.

I like Amsterdam Marina with the free ferry across to Central Station

Sixhaven and Aeolus are both handy for ferries too. BTW, we did the canal trip many years ago. It wasn't particularly interesting and the taped commentary just seemed soulless and commercial. It is more fun just to wander round, or even cycle, something we did before the bikes were stolen from outside the Tropenmuseum.

Schevingen can be fairly chaotic when busy, but they might let you have a box if you are staying several nights. Unfortunately, the marina is now based on the wrong side of the harbour. You can take a tram into The Hague, which is possibly the dullest town in the Netherlands, but does have the Mauritshuis, one of the really great galleries, with several Rembrandts and Vermeers.