Passage along French/Belgian/Dutch coast help please?

jmnapier

Visit site
Passage is Hamble to Amsterdam. If we were to route along the south coast, cross Dungeness to Cap Gris Nez and up the Belgian/Dutch coast to Ijmuiden what would be the main shipping/port/manmade zone hazards? I can see nothing until Rotterdam where we can use the transit across the entrance. We’re planning to night stop Ostend; what customs conventions are needed for a Belgian night stop? What is important in the North Sea Canal? What customs conventions on arrival in Amsterdam?
Appreciate any advice from people who have done this. Forecast for 3/4th July is WSW along the UK south coast. Speed will be 20 knots.
observations:
Navionics is next to useless for planning
Reeds is good
Paper charts good for overview but lack detail.
Many thanks
Jonathan

PlanB

Visit site
It's been a while since I crossed the channel.
Only thing I can suggest it to make sure you cross the channel shipping lanes at right angles.
We were starting from Medway and heading south, but we used to do Ramsgate to Dunkerque.

martha

Visit site
Firstly, to go into Dutch waterways you must have a Wateralmanak ,which is all in Dutch. This is a legal requirement and a fine of 1000 euros can be issued for non compliance. I’ve been to Holland and Belgium many times and personally I would miss Belgium/Ostend like the plague. They are very sniffy about red diesel. As regards red diesel the advice would be to carry at least the last 2 receipts that you have so you can prove that you’ve paid some duty. I would also head for Ramsgate as it’s very easy access and from there probably Breskens, good marina, no locks, good bar/restaurant and about 85 miles from Ramsgate. From there Scheveningen, no locks, good seafood and then Ijmuiden. Next up the Nordzee canal and just opposite Central Station is a little marina called Sixhaven—a real oasis. Ferries across the canal are free. Lovely trip and hope you enjoy it, but do remember the Almanak.

jmnapier

Visit site
Thanks for the advice to you both. We are actually booked in to Amsterdam marina as Sixhaven was full. I think I might avoid Belgium as I’ve heard the red diesel rumours before. Will have a deeper look at the routings.
all the best Jonathan

Poecheng

Visit site
There are lots of questions and only responding to a few things:
a) The red diesel thing in Belgium is history and not an issue now. Just returned from Belgium with a group of others (and was there last year as well). I am aware of three different Belgian Customs (ie nothing to do with passports) visits to yachts while we were there, one walked past my boat holding the diesel testing kit. None were tested even though it was raised by the yachties - the Belgian customs officers are fine about it. They consider they are left without any guidance and are accordingly no longer testing. I would not take red in cans and I would have receipts where possible for stuff in the tanks. Easier to fill with white if you can and also fill up when you get there, it is cheap.
b) Belgian Border force are great to deal with (online and in person) and Ostend is a good place to enter Schengen if otherwise convenient for you - 24 hour passport stamping and it is at the side of the railway station and they smile. It is a nice place.
c) Very important in Belgium and NL to listen on the appropriate VHF channel for the segment you are in - see Reeds. We have been called up by name off Zeebrugge by traffic control, then about 5m off Ostend by traffic control (heading home) and in the Westerschelde (ship). All great and very polite but I think they would be less pleased if you don't answer.
d) the tide up/down the Dutch and Belgian coast needs a bit of study as it doesn't simply change direction at local HW or LW.

Hope this helps

jmnapier

Visit site
That’s a great help Poecheng. I have studied Reeds heavily, there’s just a lot to get through starting from a position of little knowledge. Good tip about the VHF, I suspected as much. Along the European Coast or remain west of all zones and then cross further north? Which would you do?
many thanks indeed
Jonathan

Poecheng

Visit site
I find Reeds to be deeply impressive in the bits that I have studied.
As to your question, I don't know enough to advise properly tbh. I just know the bits I know which is a much smaller area than your question involves. Also am a raggie.
WIth that caveat a couple of points on where I would start thinking about it:
There is a very 'long' tide that you can jump on along the south coast all the way to Dover. I don't have HP33 with me at the moment (Dutch tidal atlas) but recollect (!) you get a 'long' north-going tide along the Belgian coast starting a couple of hours before local HW. Tides can be strong on the Belgian/Dutch coast so v important for sailing vessels and you will be able to judge the relative importance for you if you can do 20kn.
The ease of entering Schengen and getting your passport stamped is important and particularly so if you are to do it on passage. I know it is as easy as can be to do that in Ostend. We avoided France this year because the N French entry ports are (I believe and confirmed by others this year) not easy to get your passport done without effort and time.
The physical and virtual obstacles off the Dutch coast tend to push you along the coast rather than a passage more offshore.
So my thoughts would be along the lines of getting the tide 'train' as best I could and carry it probably closer to Dover and swap over and head up to Ostend, book in, and carry up the coast.
Ostend: Royal North Sea YC is really for sailing boats. Mercator is good for you and has an evening last lock in but outside waiting pontoons. Both are very close to the passport office. Royal Yacht Club Ostend is at the end, no lock, very helpful and a bit more amateur (not an insult) and you can turn up any time and find a place. 20m walk to the centre and passport office. In your shoes I would go for Mercator and get there before the last lock in, tie up, get passports sorted and go for dinner.
An alternative a bit further up the coast is Cadzand (NL) - Harbourmaster rings passport people and they will come within the hour from Vlissingen.

jmnapier

Visit site
Wow, thanks very much for all the detail Poecheng. That’s very useful. I have a few days to plan, am seeing a Dutch expert over the weekend so I suspect Sunday evening will be decision time. Cruising at 20 knots allows complete passage of this length in a single tide which can be useful but, equally, it allows you to ignore tide if you choose. The boat is a Nelson 40 with excellent sea keeping but, even so, being able to choose a window with tide and wind in the same direction may override other options.
Will post back with results in a few days!