Panic bag contents

c_roff

Visit site
I'm putting together the contents of the panic bag my wife and I will carry on our forthcoming bluewater cruise UK - NZ via Panama. We've got an EPIRB and handheld VHF and the bag will also contain water, flares, puncture repair kit & a basic 1st aid kit. I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what else it should contain.

<hr width=100% size=1>whistler

tome

www.google.co.uk
Passports, credit cards, ships papers, mobile phone, survival blankets, mars bars, signalling mirror, Solas signal guide...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
cyalume, fishing kit, sponges, hat, sunglasses, solar distiller - dessalator, swimming googles, knife, ziploc bags, towels, needle and thread
if you believe in dynamic survival add a portable table game ..

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
sea sickness pills and some stomach pills
apparently life rafts induce nausea in almost everyone
probably alot due to shock as well as motion.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

G

Nobody Panic, and someone please get out the GRAB bag!

I would add a speargun and spare spear to that list, much more effective than simple fishing gear apparently. I am also tempted by an airband handheld radio, so I could speak to any passing plane on 121.5. This advise comes from my father and brother, both airline pilots, who regularly hear 121.5 epirbs chirping, and report them, but do not get the impression much gets done about it. If you actually spoke to the pilots though, they are likely to be more forceful about getting something done.

Will

<hr width=100% size=1>

c_roff

Visit site
mmm.......Spear gun you say. Not sure how well that will fit in my Grab Bag or if it's very (inflatable) liferaft friendly! The guy who took my sea survival course also advised against eating fish as it's pure protein - eating protein causes you to need to drink a lot more water. Will tinned potatoes and of course an opener do instead??!!

<hr width=100% size=1>whistler

AndrewB

Visit site
Speargun

Ever read 'Adrift' by Steven Callahan (currently in print, Penguin Books)? 76 days in a rubber liferaft in the Atlantic, life saved entirely because he just happened to put a spear gun alongside his grab bag.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StephenSails

Visit site
On top of the other posts if you or your crew need any medicine then I would make sure there is some spare in your kit. Waterproof torch is good. Water and solar still, shark repelant. Inflatable Radar reflector if you done have one in your raft already.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.yachtinguniverse.com

wpsalm

Visit site
Re: Speargun

If you think there is some poss ibility that your boat might sink then you got the wrong boat, on the other hand.... you might have the right boat but the wrong attitude personally don,t think the word panic fits any situation that occurs while cruising...

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Supplementary

I am planning to invade a foreign country. I already have some guns and plenty of bullets. Could anyone advise other equipment I might need? Such as tanks, aircraft, troops and so forth. Any other suggestions regarding equipment and strategy gratefully received. Oh and food too, nearly forgot. :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Supplementary

one of these big grey things would useful
Dsc00157.sized.jpg

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

ccscott49

Visit site
Torch, spare batteries for all the kit, love the idea of a 121.5 airband radio. I always have 2x20 litres of water on deck, to be hurled in the liferaft, choccy high energy bars, like the idea of a speargun aswell. Medications a good bet.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: Supplementary

Great idea I'm bored out of my mind in the office today so I'll join you! Why don't we start with France as a sort of practice run and we can then stock up on decent food and drink for the future empire building. I'm about six foot and fairly handy so between the two of us shouldn't take more than half an hour, maybe we can get happy to do a risk assessment.

<hr width=100% size=1>

wakeup

Visit site
I heard someone describe the French as

'surrender monkeys' the other day. A bit unfair don't you think!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Hushinish

Visit site
Be prepared

Woggle, piece of string, chalk, pen knife, pencil, condoms good for storing rain water, tin foil, lifeboat matches, pieces of rubber inner tube to assist starting signal fires, mirror, sun oil, axe. saw, 6 records, 1 luxury item

<hr width=100% size=1>