Paint rollers

Cantata

Visit site
Having done the antifouling this week I'm yet again disapponted with the paint finish after using a roller. Yesterday in the (B cold) breeze the paint was starting to set almost instantly and the pattern left in the paint by the roller never flowed out before the stuff dried.
This time I tried a good quality roller, very short pile jobbie. I've tried all sorts in the past - I always thought a foam roller ought to be best but the last time I tried one it dissolved after about 10 minutes use.
So I wish I'd asked this last week - what's the best sort to use to get a really smooth surface?

sarabande

Visit site
roller to achieve coverage, followed quickly a brush or one of those very short-hair pads, to lay the paint smoothly.

One in each hand ? :)

The best type of roller is the woolly one designed for use with textured masonry paint; they hold a lot of AF, and are much tougher than normal cellulose sponge or plastic foam.

FullCircle

Visit site
We use foam 4 inch rollers, new one for each coat.
Mrs FC and I can get a coat on in 10 minutes, so longevity not an issue.
Brush round the waterline and leading edges.
Have you tried adding some No3 International thinners?

Pye_End

Visit site
I use a foam roller to apply (or rather several), with a second foam roller (no handle) in my other hand that I use as a laying off brush, to smooth the antifoul as I put it on. Works well. There is usually only just enough time to put one rollerfull on, and then smooth it off, before it has set too hard.

How much difference it makes a couple of weeks into the water I do not know - I have never noticed the pattern a roller makes when dried out some time later. Nice and fast for the first couple of weeks though.

chinita

Visit site
It is not the quality of the roller.

More the temperature and method.

IME you need at least 10 deg.

Also, IME you need two people. One to roll and one to tip IMMEDIATELY with a good quality 2" brush or Jenny Foam Pad. You must keep the wet edge.

You could also try thinning with 10% Owatrol - but that statement may open a can of worms!

Commiserations.

tillergirl

Visit site
I'm a great fan of Owatrol (currently trying some Owatrol CIP anti-rust) but I'm not sure it can be added to AF. Can it? I think that wind yesterday almost made painting anywhere exposed to it a non-starter. We finished fastening the new frames on the port side (in the sun and out of the wind) - wonderful, then did the starboard side in the shade and with the wind coming down the side and it was b* freezing.

Cheer up Dick, that bit goes in the water, you don't usually see it!

chinita

Visit site
Buddy Ell!

I did not read the OP properly.

I thought he was referring to topsides hence my answer about rolling and tipping.

I have never had time to 'tip off' AF! If I had the time I would rather spend it in the pub!!

MoodySabre

Visit site
I use a 7" roller for gloss paint - local shop does ones on a plastic tube. They hold up very well. I did mine about three weeks in the sunshine - I shall try to get back to doing it in the summer as it's so much asier in warm conditions.

It was lovely out on the Blackwater this afternoon :p

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
tricky decision time tomorrow ...

Do we go all "posh yacht" and lay off the rolled on antifoul with a brush?

Or do we go "cheap and cheerful" and just slap the stuff on 'cos it'll be below the waterline anyway?

:)

Cantata

Visit site
..........Cheer up Dick, that bit goes in the water, you don't usually see it!
Look I've got my local reputation as a speed merchant to maintain you know...
Besides which I reckon the smoother the paint the less the mud is inclined to stick to it in the berth.
Just having a good larf at a thread over on the Other Side about low tides in the Solent and various locals there very concerned that their keels rested briefly in the mud at (very) LW. Oh dear...

Ianqv

Visit site
no 3

I totally agree... International No3 thinners!
It makes a **** job easy!!! even the rollers don't fall apart!

Ian and Sarah

We use foam 4 inch rollers, new one for each coat.
Mrs FC and I can get a coat on in 10 minutes, so longevity not an issue.
Brush round the waterline and leading edges.
Have you tried adding some No3 International thinners?

DanTribe

Visit site
I've found a bargain source of mini rollers.
Tray, frame & set of 4 refills from the £ Shop.
First roller lasted almost 1 minute before disolving!
Add the cost of the paint that the foam absorbed.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
I've found a bargain source of mini rollers.
Tray, frame & set of 4 refills from the £ Shop.
First roller lasted almost 1 minute before disolving!
Add the cost of the paint that the foam absorbed.

Made that mistake as well, never again!