Own Boat Tuition Stour/Orwell - Very Grateful for Recommendations

|Argonaughty

Visit site
Having switched from motor to sail (in our sixties...yeah maybe wrong way round..). I would be very very grateful for recommendations for some own boat tuition. Thank you :)

xyachtdave

Visit site
I’m sure someone will be along soon to recommend the YBW pathway….starting your sailing career in an Optimist dinghy and working your way up.

There’s no need for that of course, I’d have thought any of your local sailing schools would do a bit of own boat tuition.

It’s only a few bits of rope, once you know how it all works try going out in a bit more wind than you’d previously be comfortable with and you’ll be fine.

Enjoy!

|Argonaughty

Visit site
I’m sure someone will be along soon to recommend the YBW pathway….starting your sailing career in an Optimist dinghy and working your way up.

There’s no need for that of course, I’d have thought any of your local sailing schools would do a bit of own boat tuition.

It’s only a few bits of rope, once you know how it all works try going out in a bit more wind than you’d previously be comfortable with and you’ll be fine.

Enjoy!
My dad recycled a few planks from the Ark to make a raft = an Optimist Dinghy that's living the dream alright ...

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The school at Suffolk Yacht Haven offers own boat tuition, and I thought they were good when I did the ICC. East Anglia School of Yachting? Not exactly sure of their name.

Of course, the quality of own boat tuition depends greatly on the relationship between tutor and pupils. It worked for me, but I'd given them a lot of background to help them allocate the right tutor.

|Argonaughty

Visit site
The school at Suffolk Yacht Haven offers own boat tuition, and I thought they were good when I did the ICC. East Anglia School of Yachting? Not exactly sure of their name.

Of course, the quality of own boat tuition depends greatly on the relationship between tutor and pupils. It worked for me, but I'd given them a lot of background to help them allocate the right tutor.
Thank you! Absolutely agree about the latter

cmw

Visit site

Yes, East Anglian Sea School - Yacht Charter, RYA Sailing School, Motor Boating, Powerboating, Dinghy Sailing, Suffolk, Levington, Ipswich, East Anglia were excellent when I engaged them for some own boat tuition.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Having switched from motor to sail (in our sixties...yeah maybe wrong way round..). I would be very very grateful for recommendations for some own boat tuition. Thank you :)
You probably already know the hardest part - that is maneuvering slowly in a marina under power with control despite the conditions. The rest is a doddle .

I'm sure you are going to have lots of fun and adventures under sail.

|Argonaughty

Visit site
Thank you Snowgoose-1.

BTW how is it that less than a month into ownership suddenly the hips and knees fell an awful lot less stable ^^?

johnalison

Visit site
While I have no useful qualifications, if you want an aged codger with some experience to go out with you at no cost, I could be at a loose end sometimes if I am not on my own boat. I am a disruptive person to have on board, but one local member did spend a day out with me off Harwich and lived to tell the tale.