Overwinter in portugal

nortada

Visit site
Try Sines, good protected marina inside the main harbour.

Is that the same Sines where, in Autumn, they dismantle said marina to prevent it getting trashed?

Guess what - the year it was left in situ, it got trashed! Think that must have been about 5 winters ago.

For the record, 2 winters ago, Marina de Portimao (on The Algarve) suffered extensive storm damage and local beaches lost much of their sand - all came back by the Spring.

Best advice, mozy around Portugal during the summer and ask current Liveaboards, then make your decision. From experience places change and not always for the better.

Last edited:

Richard10002

Visit site
I think you'd be hard pressed to find better than Lagos, (maybe as good as, maybe different, but not better).

Last time I looked, (2009/10), it wasn't cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

alant

Visit site
Is that the same Sines where they dismantle said marina to prevent it getting trashed?

Guess what the year it was left in situ, it got trashed!

Best advice, mozy around Portugal during the summer and ask current Liveaboards, then make your decision. From experience places change and not always for the better.

Was in there last summer & no signs of any dismantling or trashing.

nortada

Visit site
Was in there last summer & no signs of any dismantling or trashing.

Sorry should have explained that they dismantle the marina in autumn and 'remantle' in spring. A few years back when they didn't, it got trashed. I have amended my post to clarify this point.

The important point is that in the winter storms (at 8W), unless well snugged up, the West Coast not the place to be. Bit like the North Cornish coast and how may marina's and safe havens are there there?

Unfortunately, in winter, lives are regularly lost when people attempt to close the coast in high seas.

For the record, even though more beguine, Algarve Marina's are closed during big winter and summer storms. The entrance to Lagos (the River Bensafrim) has been closed twice in the last month. Fortunately, one of its attractions is that Marina de Lagos is well tucked away about a mile up the river so never experiences any turbulence; unlike some other Algarve marinas.

alant

Visit site
Sorry should have explained that they dismantle the marina in autumn and 'remantle' in spring. A few years back when they didn't, it got trashed. I have amended my post to clarify this point.

The important point is that in the winter storms (at 8W), unless well snugged up, the West Coast not the place to be. Bit like the North Cornish coast and how may marina's and safe havens are there there?

Unfortunately, in winter, lives are regularly lost when people attempt to close the coast in high seas.

For the record, even though more beguine, Algarve Marina's are closed during big winter and summer storms. The entrance to Lagos (the River Bensafrim) has been closed twice in the last month. Fortunately, one of its attractions is that Marina de Lagos is well tucked away about a mile up the river so never experiences any turbulence; unlike some other Algarve marinas.

You sure they dismantle?
Marina pontoons etc, looked fairly new & certainly permanent.

Richard10002

Visit site
Possibly from one of those who have kept their metal boats successfully in Lagos for a number of years.

IIRC, One benefit of Lagos is the fact that the marina is on a river, such that fresh water flows through. I'm no expert, but it seems that salt water kills/discourages freshwater fouling, and fresh/brackish water kills/discourages salt water fouling, so a nice clean hull, on the whole.

Similar in Glasson Dock :)

GHA

Visit site
The Portugese manage it ok.

Do they live onboard? Face it, it's not a great idea - another day and your round the corner into the Algarve away fro the worst of the atlantic swells and with much better options to overwinter. Much better all round imho.

But feel free to give it a winter onboard in Sines and come back to comment ;)

Ludd

Visit site
A mate spent winter in Sines. Burst every fender he had, and most nights didn't sleep so well. The lift replaced the only attraction of Sines, the palm trees on the wsterfront--- new mayor said they weren't indigenous. I presume the lift is----