Outside protective rubber type cover on binoculars has gone tacky and unpleasant suggestions please how to remove this covering

penfold

Visit site
My experience with such coatings is that mechanical removal(scraping with plastic scrapers or even thumbnails) followed up by a magical mystery tour through whatever household solvents are to hand to clear whatever ooze and schmutz is left is the only practicable way. Meths or WD40 are generally the winners.

pandos

Visit site
Been there done that...even if you get the outer layer off it will continue to deteriorate. Mine are about 20 years old.

I looked into this a few years ago and found lots of birdwatcher sites dealing with the issue...

Yesterday I bought a torch in a surplus shop which was still in it's blister pack but had already began to breaker down...thus not caused by sweaty hands.

I binned my Binos for a pair on Amazon with a built in compass!...

penfold

Visit site
Been there done that...even if you get the outer layer off it will continue to deteriorate. Mine are about 20 years old.
The inner surface is invariably plastic or metal; once the sticky mess is removed either leave it bare or use something like Sugru to fashion a new grippy surface. Unless you're Henry Moore or Barbara Hepworth it will probably look a bit homemade but it will be as serviceable as ever it was.

Skylark

Visit site
My experience with such coatings is that mechanical removal(scraping with plastic scrapers or even thumbnails) followed up by a magical mystery tour through whatever household solvents are to hand to clear whatever ooze and schmutz is left is the only practicable way. Meths or WD40 are generally the winners.
Good advice from someone who’s obviously done it ?
My boat bins succumbed to this terminal ailment a few years ago. I scraped and rubbed using absolutely everything available from within the garage and cleaned the residue using anything available from a well stocked Alchemist hoard.
The common denominator is perseverance. It’s hard work, the result doesn’t look pretty but the sticky mess is no more.

garymalmgren

Visit site
I wrapped my sticky binoc rubber hand pieces (?) in tennis racquet handle tape.
Same stuff I wrap around the hand grip part of the tiller.
Choose your colour.

hary

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
I have found the only stuff to work satisfactorily to be washing up liquid, a few green scrubbing sponges and a liberal application of elbow grease. Armed with these I have managed to get down to the clean shiny substrate.

Petrol - (lighter fluid to be precise) transferred minute quantities of the goo permanently onto my hands. Maybe sticking the offending object in a bucket of the stuff for a few hours may produce a better result.
#11 thinners (cannot id what it is) - nope
Acetone - nope
White spirit - nope

Has anyone tried xylene or toluene?

Yngmar

Visit site
Just cleaning the same kind of sticky mess off our Eton G3 radio. Ethyl alcohol shifts it okay, although unfortunately also takes the printed labels off.

This rotten nonsense coating should IMHO be banned - I've had it go sticky on many things and it's super annoying.

actionoptics

www.actionoptics.co.uk
Have tried the usual solvents but nothing worked. I had promised them to my grandchildren

I have successfully used Sticky Stuff Remover. It is sold to remove the glue left behind when you remove a sticky label.
I have also recovered the important areas, i.e. those that you touch most when handling the binocular, with the
material that is sold to recover camera bodies. You can buy it online. It's either self adhesive or stuck on with
contact adhesive.
It takes time but the result is really good.

bluerm166

Visit site
To my surprise I was able to remove the sticky surface on a PAL/TIVOLI portable radio ,which was previously unpleasant to handle ,using 'industrial' wipes.These contain a very small amount of solvent plus some kind of detergent that 'soaps' and seemed in that case to prevent the softened material from adhering to the surface .
The original finish appeared intended to create a rubber effect on an article meant to be usable outdoors,whereas the final surface of the case was a smooth black plastic .It remains the best radio in the house .

(The wipes are never disposed of in the loo )