Outdrive steering question

ivorufo

Visit site
I have a 32ft single engined boat with an outdrive. It has a full planing hull and a bow thruster.

I want to use the boat occassionally on inland waterways but at slow speeds the steering is not precise leading to a lot of input from the wheel. With practice this can be reduced but is still a lot for both helmsman and possibly the boat.

Is there some appendage that can be temporarily attached to the leg to make things easier? I'm sure I have seen rudder type extensions on outboards somewhere.

Thank you.

rafiki_

Visit site
I had a couple of single-engine outdrive boats on the Norfolk Broads. I found that helming improved with practice, and the tendency to "over steer" reduced, and with time, you will be able to anticipate the wind and current shifts that can be bothersome in your early days.

BruceK

Visit site
As Rafiki said, you soon get used to the steering. You can also try dropping the trim tabs right down to create a bit of drag at the stern. On a much smaller boat that I had with Nautilus Smart Tabs on this worked a treat, the presumption is it will assist when using Trim tabs too.

EDIT.

You piqued my curiosity. This is what google threw out. How well they work? ....Not a clue. Hadn't even heard of them until just now....

http://www.jonesboatchandlery.co.uk/ruddersafe-dual-rudder

ruddersafe_2.jpg

Last edited:

AllanG

Visit site
EDIT.

You piqued my curiosity. This is what google threw out. How well they work? ....Not a clue. Hadn't even heard of them until just now....

http://www.jonesboatchandlery.co.uk/ruddersafe-dual-rudder

View attachment 61441

I have one of these fitted to my Honda BF135 outboard though, as it was already fitted when I bought my 20ft Finnmaster, I have no experience of using the boat without it.

From my experience with it fitted, it appears to work well at low speed, as very little steering inputs are required to keep the boat in a straight line, when I compare to the constant steering inputs required on my mate's RIB.

As far as I'm aware, the Ruddersafe can be fitted to an outdrive.

Momac

Visit site
You will learn to deal with it without so much conscious effort, and very possibly with less input into the wheel.

Chris_d

Visit site
Surprised its such a problem on a 32footer, you will get used to it, best thing to do is stop turning the wheel all the time :)
Hold it dead steady, the bow will oscillate left and right a bit but don't be tempted to keep correcting it.

CX54WEK

Visit site
Can only echo what others have said. You will get used to it with time.

No need to add anything to the boat just leave the wheel alone.

Chris_d

Visit site
I have one of these fitted to my Honda BF135 outboard though, as it was already fitted when I bought my 20ft Finnmaster, I have no experience of using the boat without it.

From my experience with it fitted, it appears to work well at low speed, as very little steering inputs are required to keep the boat in a straight line, when I compare to the constant steering inputs required on my mate's RIB.

As far as I'm aware, the Ruddersafe can be fitted to an outdrive.

Would be interesting to see how much faster you will go with it removed.

PCUK

Visit site
The solution is proven, easy and cheap! Fit a fixed skeg underneath the stern at the transom. My old Senior 31 had one 9 inches deep and about 15 inches long. Absolutely transformed steering in a straight line with no problems when manoeuvring. Cost about £50 in epoxy coated mild steel if you have one made, then bolt it on yourself.

CX54WEK

Visit site
The solution is proven, easy and cheap! Fit a fixed skeg underneath the stern at the transom. My old Senior 31 had one 9 inches deep and about 15 inches long. Absolutely transformed steering in a straight line with no problems when manoeuvring. Cost about £50 in epoxy coated mild steel if you have one made, then bolt it on yourself.

How did that affect the handling on the plane?

wheelie

Visit site
Hi, I use my boat on the Ouse so it's all slow speed and wanders like mad, so I fitted one of those ruddersafe fins, and I find it makes hardly any difference, we still zigzag up the river when not paying attention.

One area where it helps greatly though is mooring, because it gives you steering when moving forwards with the power cut.

Freeloader

Visit site
In the past, I have had a similar positive experience with Smart Tabs as posted above by BruceK. In each case, they virtually eliminated the problem in the boats that I fitted them to.

I would expect that deploying the trim tabs on your boat will have precisely the same effect. However, small boats can be very prone to low speed 'wander', whereas the longer keels of bigger boats seem to keep them more on track. The trim tabs on your larger vessel, therefore, may or may not have such a signicant effect but, as it will cost nothing to try, it would be well worth a bit of experimentation!

Last edited: