Outboard size/weight trade off.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Might I ask, is that weight /power adjustment for the Newish 4 stroke engines ?

The person I spoke to at Marathon couldn't tell me why the maximum engine size has been reduced but I suspect you may be on the right track about weight of 4 stroke engines being a problem. Some alternative makes I looked at also seem to have done the same although all I looked at had cylindrical stern tube ends which give better buoyancy than cone ends.

Visit site
I've got 2 on offer here in Kalamata (both 2nd hand) and know of two yards in Malta who will source 2-strokes for you.

Why not rise off your posterior and do your own work?

You ought to share them for the benefit of other members here. That's what the forum is all about. I happily share my findings.

There's a shop in Rabbat, Malta that sells the Tohatsu 5hp and the 9.8hp at prices ever-so-slightly lower than in the UK/Channel Islands. I'm in two minds over a new 9.8hp. Good engine, but 2nd hand would be half the price, leaving cash left over for other repairs. That being said how long in the EU are you going to be able buy a new 2-stroke, so now might be the time.

Graham376

Visit site
No need to go to the med for a 2 stroke, you can get them new from Mainbrayce in Alderney. http://mainbrayce.co.uk/tohatsu-3-5hp/
I guess as the Channel Islands aren't in the EU they don't have the issue with using 2 strokes for leisure use.

Yes, they do have them but you have to go there to collect, they won't deliver to a UK or EU address and say that personal carriage via France is very dodgy. The 9.8 box weighs 30kg and is too large to fit in most car boots.

jac

Visit site
Yes, they do have them but you have to go there to collect, they won't deliver to a UK or EU address and say that personal carriage via France is very dodgy. The 9.8 box weighs 30kg and is too large to fit in most car boots.

Presumably though for most yacht owners the easiest way would be to sail to Braye, collect the OB, un box it, take out to your boat, test whilst in Alderney.

Not sure what the Vat implications are of then bring it into the country but surely replacing defective/ missing safety equipment must be allowed and a properly working tender would certainly be needed if going to places like Sark.

Graham376

Visit site
Not sure what the Vat implications are of then bring it into the country but surely replacing defective/ missing safety equipment must be allowed and a properly working tender would certainly be needed if going to places like Sark.

I expect VAT would be due. The rules about sales in EU are strict in that they can only be sold for commercial use or racing but just how an EU citizen importing one stands, I don't know.
Could it be seized? Many visiting boats from outside the EU will of course have recently manufactured 2 strokes on board and I doubt there any restrictions on using them.

New Chinese 2 strokes are blatantly sold on ebay but consensus is to avoid them. Some look like post hole borers with a leg and prop instead of an auger.