Visit site
Inboard diesel
Pros

Fuel economy
Better bathing platform access
B oat looks a bit nicer maybe?
Diesel fuel available in most UK marinas

Cons

Outdrive leg could be costly to maintain, bellows need replacing every 2 years.
Assuming volvo penta diesel, engine parts will be more expensive than petrol outboard

Petrol outboard
Pros

Can lift engine engine and leg clear of water when leaving boat
Should be more reliable in long run, less to go wrong
Cheaper parts and cheaper servicing(no bellows to be replaced etc)

Cons

Worse fuel economy
Gets in way of bathing platform
Boat looks a bit worse?
If in UK, harder to find petrol than diesel in a marina

I'd go for an outboard on a rib.

Oscar24

Visit site
Most RIB's will be OB petrol, the pro's being easily replaceable, light, low maintenance. The only real downside with an OB petrol is availability of fuel in some areas and cost.
IB diesel only real advantage i see is endurance.

chuzzlewit

Visit site
Most RIB's will be OB petrol, the pro's being easily replaceable, light, low maintenance. The only real downside with an OB petrol is availability of fuel in some areas and cost.
IB diesel only real advantage i see is endurance.
Thanks. I think I'l stick with outboards

gordmac

Visit site
Ribs can be a bit tight for space at the best of times without using it up with an inboard engine! Cost of fuel with a big petrol outboard must be scary though!

ashtead

Visit site
Personally would go for diesel due to availability and safety -was surprised to learn the other day Brixham marina has no petrol. We walked up road with our can but I guess not ideal solution for a large rib. It might depend on where you are using though.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Ribs can be a bit tight for space at the best of times without using it up with an inboard engine! Cost of fuel with a big petrol outboard must be scary though!

Go big or go home ??

Its a price worth paying for easy of access, parts prices, simplicity, lives out of the water and performance. They are so quiet I’ve got neck ache for checking they are still running! ?

C982EF08-54B2-4CC3-ADC1-16F8DCDC0A34.jpeg

Mr Googler

Visit site
Personally would go for diesel due to availability and safety -was surprised to learn the other day Brixham marina has no petrol. We walked up road with our can but I guess not ideal solution for a large rib. It might depend on where you are using though.

I can load 200 litres with 5 trips up to the petrol station in 45 mins with 2 x 20l cans. It’s not as difficult as I thought it would be….and spending £50 per trip seems easier than £250 in one hit ?

Kawasaki

Visit site
Modern outboards are great
Good on fuel too
A RIB with an outdrive does appear a good idea but they aint
What you think you may save on fuel consumption is blown away by maintenace bills on outdrives
Operating RIBS Commercially and for pleasure for nigh on 30 years has taught me which way to go
Handling to is better with outboards
I would not have another RIB with outdrives

Martxer

Visit site
I can load 200 litres with 5 trips up to the petrol station in 45 mins with 2 x 20l cans. It’s not as difficult as I thought it would be….and spending £50 per trip seems easier than £250 in one hit ?
How are you transferring fuel from the can to the boat? I found that to be the biggest pain.
having been charged £1.55 a litre at the marina I need to look at the Jerry cans again.

Rappey

Visit site
No one has mentioned weight of both engines. An outboard must be a lot lighter ?
Gov.uk state you can fill 10l in plastic and 20l in metal containers . The regulations do not specify the number of suitable portable containers that can be filled at a petrol filling station though ?