Ouch! Our boat has been hit!

AlJones

atsailing.com
Oh Bugger! Received a call today from our neighbours at Haslar!

Their bow line 'snapped' and their boat came across and smacked into ours!

Not their fault, but a pain in the arse!

Most damage is to theirs.

Wanted to share my grief!

Al.

Talbot

Visit site
commiserations.

Not good hearing about bad weather where your boat is secured, and you are hundreds of miles away unable to check that she is alright!

Cutter

Visit site
where are you in Haslar?
Know you have been kind enough to look at Ayesha when I have been away so thinking of you. Much damage?

AlJones

atsailing.com
Just inside 'H' pontoon.

I still have a nose at yours when passing!

Apparently there are only rub marks on ours, but he has damaged his stanchions.

We all know that the staff are very helpful down there, and they are going to take pictures for us! Not that the owners of t'other vessel wouldn't, they are very nice people.

Al.

johnalison

Visit site
Not sure why a snapped bow-line is not someone's fault. It sounds like poor maintenance or failure to deal with chafe. My lines are shackled to the pontoon and I had to replace one this year when a visitor used them and chafed halfway through one in a couple of weeks.

graham

Visit site
Have to agree with you there Kermudjon. It never fails to amaze me that people skimp on mooring lines.

If the pontoon is battered to pieces fair enough ,if the pontoon is still there and the lines have parted then responsibility has to lie fair and square on the owner.The lines were either too weak or not protected from chaffe .

This is a subject that puts me in rant mode . /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bumblefish

Visit site
Totally agree. I have been assigned my new berth in Brighton and on first inspection the big old cat' in the adjacent berth, upwind, had, in my opinion, inadequate lines. I asked the marina to ask the owner to sort it out before I moved, The owner was not interested/bothered and so the office said they would make her more secure and if I was not happy then to have a go myself. I am still not sure of the legal position I would be in if I either moved or made some adjustments myself. If I put myself in a berth which I am not confidant is 'safe' am I at risk of endangering my insurance? If I have a go at the cat's lines am I also exposing myself?

graham

Visit site
If possible secure the Cat using lines you find aboard.Dont tell anyone or admit it was you,legal issues avoided and you can sleep at night.

AlJones

atsailing.com
No, the owner is making good all repairs, via a work shop.

There is a chap on here who is going past today and has offered to take a couple of photo's for us!

Forum member helping another! Great people on here.

Al.

AlJones

atsailing.com
Just had a call from Malcb, and he has reported back to me that there is nowt wrong with Freedom of Hamble!! Hooooorrrrraaaaayyyyy!

Massive sigh of relief there.

Mal your a star, thank you very very much for doing that.
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Isn't that a nice touch, going out of his way to check someones boat?

Al.

graham

Visit site
whathappened? Did they damage another boat and confuse it with yours or was the mark so superficial someones polished it off ?

Nice to hear that the owner of the stray boat was honest and owned up also good of Mal to offer to check it out for you. Restores my faith in human nature.

AlJones

atsailing.com
Spot on!

The owner of the other vessel took everything in hand, and has fixed/polished/rubbed anything away.

Likewise, my faith in 90% of the owners at Haslar has been underlined. They are a bloody nice bunch down there, thats why they have my business. Not the cheapest, but how much would I have to pay for that kind of peace of mind?

Anyway, I am smiling again.

Al.