Orford Ness - which one of you is this?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Quite a nice pic thanks to Getty Images via this BBC story,

NtUl4hZ.jpg

Leighb

Visit site
Just being picky, the yacht is just entering the river Ore, with North Weir Point behind. That is the Southern tip of the Orfordness peninsula, not quite an island. Taken a few years ago, as I think I can make out the tip of the now demolished Orfordness lighthouse above the shingle.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Slaughden Sailing Club : Westerly WINDRUSH cruising yacht.
1680437722826.jpeg
I believe this is the boat pictured. Locally owned and has been moored at Slaughden for many years.

I was left to wander Orford Ness a few years ago when it was first taken over by the National Trust. There was a series of Art Installations and atmospheric music in the buildings and the pagodas. I had a packed lunch and at some point I found a place to sit and eat. Just looking around I noticed a few small bits
of rusty metal. I put them in my back-pack. They were bits of weapons, shells etc from the past. Still have them on my 'museum tray.
The place is totally littered with such stuff from pre-WW1 to Cold War days.

A chap I knew, Paddy Heazell, wrote a comprehensive history called 'MOST SECRET. The History of Orford Ness'
Foreword by Dick Strawbridge MBE. It is a fairly academic read but probably the most comprehensive history written about the Ness. Fascinating.
(Unfortunately Paddy and his wife were killed in a car accident in USA shortly after publication).
.....its military history has proved no less important and its secrets highly intriguing. This book tells an incredible tale of ingenious, talented and brave men- and women- who operated with typically British patience and resourcefulness in often highly uncomfortable and, on occasions, fatal circumstances.

Edit: OK I admit I am no expert at boat recognition. So edited to say - I believe this could possibly be similar to boat in OP's post.
A local boat to the river and its red and white? . Before the arguments start :D

Last edited:

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk