Orca attack

Adios

Visit site
I mentioned my own pet theory way back up thread about how tuna being landed to a boat hand lining could easily look like a rudder to these dumb fat water rats. :)
I'm not sure they're that dumb. They proved themselves capable of being highly trained in sea worlds

Adios

Visit site
Voile, the French sailing mag, reported a towed pinger which has become available. For details check out: Le Whale-Pal.
Overview Its put on fishing nets and boats? If lots of fishing boats are using these or similar that makes even more sense of why the orcas are going after non-fishing boats. They're after fish I'm sure of it.

deep denial

Visit site
I am interested in the insurance companies' position. What happens when they start to notice that navigating near Spain, and southern France, is associated with significant danger?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I am interested in the insurance companies' position. What happens when they start to notice that navigating near Spain, and southern France, is associated with significant danger?

Considering the tens of thousands of boats based and sailing in the area from Gib to Brittany and paying insurance premiums, the risk is tiny.

PhillM

Visit site
On radio 4 tonight too. To be fair non of the “rich yachties” stuff just calm discussion about why they may be doing it.

Wansworth

Visit site

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
I agree if I started to smash rubbers on boats I would be held accountable and would be banned fro marinas and boat yards and made to pay fo the damage in some way. I may also be incrassated and have my freedom restricted
I'm not too sure why you'd be comparing yourself to a whale, but perhaps you may be thickened if you were to try.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Just discovered that my newish Prout 37 elite has forward facing echo sounder. I can turn this 180 degrees to face the stern. At Max power how would a nibbling Orca react to this "in your face" pinging?

Babylon

Visit site
Interesting idea!

Perhaps marine scientists can experiment to establish what frequency and/or pattern of pings might work as a warning-off?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I'm not sure the marine scientist would like that in his bottom...
On my Prout, the forward facing echo-sounder turned 180 would be less than a meter pointing directly at the head of an Orca nibbling my rudders. The transducer is mounted on the centre nacelle alongside the outdrive. It took me some time to realise what it was by tracing the co-ax from the display on the panel. I don't understand the reference to a scientist's bottom.